Hot Rod Forum banner

Puting a SMC in a Fox Body Mustang

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  NXS 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Puting a SBC in a Fox Body Mustang

Hi. I am trying to put a chevy small block 400 into a 91 Ford Mustang. The car is origionaly a 4 cylinder, automatic, notch back. I need to find an oil pan that will fit the crossmember of the car. Can any one give me any tips, advice, or links to other sites that may be able to help me with this job. Are there any actual kits out there for such a hybrid conversion? Any information on this topic will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

#3 ·
hmm... maybe.... I was told by the guy who is gonna make my engine mounts that I will need to get a speacial oil pan for the job. He also said that I am going to have problems getting headers for it and may have to do some modifications of the steering sector. But, he said that those were the onlyproblems he could figure that I would have.

#4 ·
I've never done this, but I've work with both items(owned 4 fox bodies and countless SBCs). I think that if you find the right exhaust and you have a guy that is MAKING your mounts it should be easy. BUT i've never done it either. My last SBC transplant was into a RX7. It dropped right in and looked factory. I did not put headers on it but a $90 set of flowtechs work on that combo.

Your metal man is probably preparing you for the worst.
I would bolt the motor and trans together and try a test fit before I bought a $400 set of headers and a $150 oil pan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.