Putting a 302 engine in a s10 frame any suggestions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2006, 04:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Putting a 302 engine in a s10 frame any suggestions

Hi, I really do not know a lot about engines and transmissions, but I want to install a 302 engine and a t400 transmission in a s10 rolling chassis. I have a rebuilt 302 and t400. Any suggestions or heads up on some problems I may run into? Does someone make conversion kits to do this? Can I cut out the mounts in my old ford frame and wield them in to work? Thanks for any advise or info I know some will say if I really do not know a lot about engines and transmissions I should not be trying to do this, but if I never try anything, I'll never learn anything.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2006, 09:01 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

I hope to God you mean a 302 chevy- which is quite rare. And a TH400 is way overkill for that engine, nonetheless, you shuold be able to use a regular conversion kit from Summit.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:20 AM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Quote:
I hope to God you mean a 302 chevy

Why? Sure, it's easy, and the kits are avaliable for a SBC swap, but the SBF in a s-10 would be a head turner....
Old 02-24-2006, 08:33 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

But an SBF on a TH-400 transmission would be a lot of work for no gain. There are plenty strong Ford transmissions that would bolt right up with no adapters.

Adam, for the easiest engine swap, always get an engine and transmission together. If you want to use a 302 Ford that's fine, but I'd get an engine with a transmission. If for some reason you want a different transmission, look at the engine manufacturers choices that will bolt right up. It's a lot easier to change mounts than it is to adapt transmissions. In general, you don't want to adapt a transmission that isn't made to bolt up to the engine unless there are no transmissions that will easily bolt up and do the job you want.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:33 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

That's the reason I said go with a 302 chevy- TH400 on a ford 302 is almost always a huge waste of time.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:31 PM
you lift,you lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam120674
Hi, I really do not know a lot about engines and transmissions, but I want to install a 302 engine and a t400 transmission in a s10 rolling chassis. I have a rebuilt 302 and t400. Any suggestions or heads up on some problems I may run into? Does someone make conversion kits to do this? Can I cut out the mounts in my old ford frame and wield them in to work? Thanks for any advise or info I know some will say if I really do not know a lot about engines and transmissions I should not be trying to do this, but if I never try anything, I'll never learn anything.

Read it again guys...4th sentence...he asks "can i cut out the mounts in my old Ford frame"??? i think that says Ford all over it...sorry i don't mean to be a wisea**...
I don't mean to "dog" anybody but as a matter of preference i'd stick with a GM motor...i'm all for the "Dare to be different" cause...but i'm just bias toward GM/Chevy...i don't like popping a hood & the first thing i see is the distributor cap & a bunch of wires...Kimo
Old 02-24-2006, 01:44 PM

Last journal entry: The Last of My Vehicles

I put a 350 in a 1988 S-10....pain in the backside...but sure was fun. If I was going to take the time and effort I would sure go with a 350 or 400 with a TH350 or 400. Watch the clearance on the tranny and you will have to get custom headers and mounts....Summit or Jegs has them. Jump on their site and search.....you didn't mention the trucks year. Not an easy swap you'll definitely get an education if you're a beginner.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:21 PM

Last photo:

for the amount of money and many many many many hours it will take...forget it

sell the 302, buy a 350, the whole project will cost less at the end and it's a proven swap of standard (?) parts

ha! want to be blue oval....stick some Ford badges on the body....now that would be a head turner!
Old 02-24-2006, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

I'm SORRY I have a c4 transmission. Guess I was still thinking about an artical I read before I posted. This should make it alot easier project to do and talk about. My plan is to install the engine and transmission in the s10 and then mount my 51 f1 ford on top of it.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:24 PM
you lift,you lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam120674
I'm SORRY I have a c4 transmission. Guess I was still thinking about an artical I read before I posted. This should make it alot easier project to do and talk about. My plan is to install the engine and transmission in the s10 and then mount my 51 f1 ford on top of it.

Ahhh...well this change's everything doesn't it... ...here we are getting into the old Chevy vs Ford debate & you're only useing the S-10 (frame) as a base...you're keeping it a Ford/Ford combo & body...i'm just joking...hope i didn't offened anybody out there...Kimo...
Old 02-24-2006, 05:06 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Shouldn't be too big of a deal. You will probably want to use a rear sump oil pan and pump though.

You will be making your own mounts....no kit available.....Real hotrodders dont use kits anyways.

Budget RVs
Old 02-24-2006, 06:46 PM
L79 327 5SPD S10 '65GTO

Last photo:

If I could make one suggestion, It would be to install the body first, then the motor/trans. If you don't mind clearancing the firewall, I'd say, set the motor back and down as far as possible, which should be pretty far with no dizzy out back. I've seen to many S10's with their engines trying to pop out of the hood, and they always ask "how do I get traction?"
Another nice thing to do is, if possible, install the engine with the starter on, or at least make sure you can install and remove the starter before you start fabbing or even measuring for mounts. Try to find some IROC of GTA front springs as they ride really nice with a V8.

Good luck.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:13 AM

Last photo:

adam,
agree, "whole different" project with your additional info...

agree with Poncho, (shouldn't be alot more or less hours than cutting and welding on a different frame that doesn't fit)

your going to put it together and take it apart alot of times before all is just right so: LOTS of reference points marks on the body/frame/motor (magic marker-masking tape- scribe lines-etc) and measurements written down..to answer the what's and why's...and a hell of a time saver

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.