Putting 305 v8 in a 91 s10 4x4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2006, 09:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

putting 305 v8 in a 91 s10 4x4

i came around this motor for dirt cheap so i bought it, it runs nice and everything, but I was wondering if i would be able to put it in my s10 or not, would i need a new tranny?i have a v6 4.3 in it now. would you guy be able to help me out at all?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2006, 07:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

V8 engines have been swapped into S-10's since they began running out of warranty way back when.
The 305 will directly bolt up to the transmission, BUT if the flexplate (or flywheel) from one is internal balance, and the other is internal balance you will need to use the appropriate one for your 305, if they are both externally balanced you can use the flywheel/flexplate on the 4.3.
Pretty much all you will need are the adapter motor mounts and exhaust manifolds or headers that will fit the 305 engine in that particular year vehicle.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Oops!!!

MY bad,
I forgot to open this thread after splitting it from the older one you posted in yesterday.

All fixed.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:27 PM

Last photo:

I've done this conversion. I installed a TBI 350 in my '87 S10 4x4 several years ago. I LOVED that truck.

My BEST piece of advice would be to go to www.jagsthatrun.com and buy the S10 conversion manual.
Get it, read it, then order the parts to do the conversion from them if you decide to do it.

I used their stuff when I did mine several years ago. I'm currently doing a V8 swap using their book and parts on a Datsun Z car.

You'll have a fairly easy swap using the 4.3 trans and accessories.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:07 AM
L79 327 5SPD S10 '65GTO

Last photo:

You'll also need an oilpan to clear the front diff. At V8S10.org there's pictures of the 4x4 pan if you wish to make one. For a one piece seal engine, you can graft 2 4.3 4x4 pans together.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:22 AM

Last photo:

Best deal on the oil pan is to just order one....
https://shell7.tdl.com/~jags/S-10_Order.html

I made my own, as at that time a 2 piece rear main ( I used an early block) pan wasn't offered.
That was the hardest part of my conversion was grafting the 2.8L sump onto the V8 pan.
I also cut and welded my own mounts using the JTR blueprints.
If doing it all over, I would just buy the mounts and pan.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

DON'T go exactly by that book that is still a recommendation.

They will not tell you that there are MUCH cheaper sources for the parts you will need to swap the V8 into that truck.

Someone somewhere just wrecked their V8 powered S-10 last week and will have their motor mounts and headers on Ebay or even in their local ISP's classifieds, meaning, you can get these parts cheaper and don't exactly have to go new to get the same results.

A common swap is a Corvette radiator from 19**(I forgot what years), but it will pretty much be a bolt-in and go with minor work and no expensive adapters.

There are a lot of members here who have done that swap and can tell you what to do and not do. Most of them are members of online S-10 forums and have the resources at hand from thousands of people who have done this swap.

I'm eventually going to find the time to pull my S-10 out of storage and swap an Oldsmobile 350 into it.
Try and find readily available parts for THAT swap. Dare to be different.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Voices tell me to do this.

The corvette radiator fron say a mid 80's is what to look for.It will fit in the same space and can also be mounted in the "forward position" with very little modification. I am using one in my 85 S-10 swap and it works well with Ford Taurus electric fans.
I also made my own engine mounts after looking at the pattern in the JTR book. They work well amd can be adjusted front to rear 1.5" to help with header/manifold clearanse.
I don't know too much about the 4x4 swap but 1985 Camaro 305 manifolds will clear the frame and steering column in the 2wd.
I also think you may have to ditch the column shift on the 4x4 for a floor shift as the exhaust will not clear it. Hope this will help!
Old 02-19-2006, 12:12 PM

Last photo:

The JTR book is well worth the price, as it will save many headaches.
I realize alot of this info is online, but believe me, the book WILL pay for itself.

The book mentions the radiator that will work, and it is fairly cheap from JTR...I get shop rate on parts and I wouldn't save enough to be worth my trouble to find it cheaper...

Yes,
if you shop around, you can get the JTR blueprint mounts online, Ebay and other sources. Worth looking into... However be sure you get the proper mounts, just because they say they are for a S10 V8 doesn't mean they will work. 4x4 mounts differ from 2x4, Blazer mounts differ from pickup, etc..

Column shift works fine with 4x4....

We are less than 10 posts into this topic and already there is misinformation....

Buy the book.... My best advice...You will have a great source of info in one location, not trying to piece a swap together from bits of info online that you aren't sure of the source.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.