putting 305 vortec heads on an pre-vortec 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2009, 11:55 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

putting 305 vortec heads on an pre-vortec 350

i am building a 350 out of a 94 Chevy k1500. It came with the old spiral flow heads which suck. I have all the parts i need im just on the search for vortec heads now. i was able to get my hands on a set of 305 vortec heads off a 97 truck. they have a 1.85 intake and 1.5 exhaust valves. my question is will these heads flow better than the old spiral flow or should i keep searching around for a set of 350 vortec heads?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2009, 12:10 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor1022
my question is will these heads flow better than the old spiral flow or should i keep searching around for a set of 350 Vortec heads?
Keep looking, IMO. The 305 (5L) Vortec heads are not just smaller valved 350 (5.7L) Vortec heads. The combustion chamber has a smaller volume, and I've heard the ports don't flow anywhere near as well as the 5.7L Vortec heads, and have a smaller port volume as well.

The 5L Vortecs may flow as good or even better than your current TBI heads, but the 5.7L Vortec's are where the payoff is. The 5.7L Vortec heads are readily available- look on craigs for either just the heads or an entire 5.7L Vortec engine.

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:23 PM
305 Turbo-Fire 240hp

Last photo:

ebay has those babies all day(350 vortec heads). Just be reader to be at your computer like your at barret jackson, bidding and winning is tough
Old 01-11-2011, 08:05 PM

vortec heads

Will the 5.7 LT1 heads fit on a 80s block ??
Old 01-11-2011, 08:14 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT ROD TWAN
Will the 5.7 LT1 heads fit on a 80s block ??
The Gen II SBC heads can be made to work- do a search here for several threads on this.

But the bottom line is the LT1 heads do nothing that the Vortec heads can't do as good or better- except for the Vortec's being made of cast iron instead of the 'Vette and F-body LT1 heads being made of aluminum.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:48 PM

vortec heads

The heads I have are the vortex ones off a 94 chevy camaro . Will they work on a older block ???
Old 01-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Fought beside and with you 92'

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Vortec heads gave me the fever. The only precription is cow bell.

305 are good but 906 are better.

Vortec heads on a 305 mini mouse teamed with a performer cam, springs, vortec performer intake, QJet, 3.73 gears with 28" tire , gave my C10 a kick in the pants. The stroke of the 305 is what keeps that boat anchor festive. My vortec heads are full size valve, umbrella sealed with no inner spring. Just the 3100V6/ LS6 beehive spring bids a little more lift clearance. THe 3.73 gear keeps the truck near its power band and always multiplies enough torque on tap. Never a saggy moment with the high velocity intake, carb, and head runners. Q jet hits like fuel injection. Trans mods included tuning governor for automatic 5,000 rpm 1-2 shifts with TCI kit. It takes 15 minutes.

Headers are about to be installed on her with Walker Quietflow muffs.

The vortec heads are the best bang for your deal. My Vortec heads spring and retainers were $250 +190 machine work + 80 for a intake. The results are incredible even with a stock cam. Upgrade is said to give 55 hp and 15# heads alone. My estimate is that is a fair assumtpion, depending what you start with. Biggest single acceleration gain from a mod is the vortec heads, then 2nd was the 2.73 gear to 3.73 swap. Headers and a dual side dump exhaust should be a winner too.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Cobalt already answered your question. The LT1 heads will bolt on, but none of the coolant passages will line up. The LT1 is reverse flow cooled, meaning the heads are cooled first. Generation 1 sbcs`s cool the block first. This is why the passages don`t line up. To make them work on a older SBC you would have to weld them up then redrill them. Why do all this work when you can get a set of L31 Vortec heads bolt them on and go? The Vortec head was designed after the LT1 head, so it`s pretty much equal as far as performance goes. So to finalize your question No, they won`t "work" without a lot of work and fabrication skills.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:16 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT ROD TWAN
The heads I have are the vortex ones off a 94 chevy camaro . Will they work on a older block ???
I shouldn't have eluded to the idea that they can be made to work, without also adding that the process to get them to work right on the 80's (Gen I) SBC block will cost far more than a set of L31 Vortec heads would cost.

Listen to what DV has said- and you'll be fine.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Keep looking, IMO. The 305 (5L) Vortec heads are not just smaller valved 350 (5.7L) Vortec heads. The combustion chamber has a smaller volume, and I've heard the ports don't flow anywhere near as well as the 5.7L Vortec heads, and have a smaller port volume as well.

The 5L Vortecs may flow as good or even better than your current TBI heads, but the 5.7L Vortec's are where the payoff is. The 5.7L Vortec heads are readily available- look on craigs for either just the heads or an entire 5.7L Vortec engine.

Good luck.

I realize this is an old response but thought I'd add a couple comments in case someone doing a search for info on L30 heads comes across it. It's true the L30 305 Vortec heads do not flow as well as the L31 Vortecs and they do not have the heart shaped chambers. However, they do flow considerably better than most earlier production line factory iron SBC heads, especially the TBI swirl port heads. If you can get a set cheap enough they are worth taking a look at for a mild build. Problem is most sellers think they're made of gold and ask the same price as L31 heads. I got mine off a core I bought to get the roller cam hardware. I was going to gut them for parts for a set of '416 HO heads until I started looking at the runners. I did some research and found flow numbers posted by someone I know from some of the Chevy forums. I put the '416 heads under the bench and hauled the L30's off to the machine shop instead. I had the guides machined down for more lift when I had them rebuilt. The machine shop has done hundreds of Vortecs and said many they have done actually experience interference at .440 to .450" valve lift.

I'm presently collecting pieces to build a 355 for my '88 C1500. I have the fresh set of '520 L30 Vortec heads, NOS TRW L-2441 21.7cc D-cup pistons, a stock Vortec roller cam and the '395 Ramjet roller cam (still undecided on which one) and a GMPP Vortec TBI intake manifold. Compression will be about 9.2 to 1 depending on final deck height. I'm also switching out my 2.73 gears for 3.23's and a posi. I still need to pickup some upgrade pieces for my fuel and ignition systems and headers with the Vortec EGR fitting. I'm going to upgrade my ECM with an add on package that will allow me to reprogram without burning chips.

Things are slow at work right now so I'm holding off until I know if I'll have a job later this year or not.............
Old 01-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Sounds good Hip. Tell me more about the add on program, I`m curious about it, that sounds like something I may look into for my 4.3 TBI.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:17 PM

there is a post over on a z/28 forum about these heads. they said they flowed almost as good as the 062/906 heads. the flow numbers was there too. they are a much better head than the 601/416/434 heads.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.