Hot Rod Forum banner

Putting a 37 back together

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Leakie 
#1 ·
I have started to put my 37 Chevy 2 door sedan together that I purchased as a project that was started but not finished. I have purchased fiberglass rear fenders, new steel running boards and have a couple of sets of original front fenders that I hope to make a decent pair from the four. I have run into a problem just trying to mock it up. Nothing seems to fit together at all. The running boards seem too long, the curve of the boards doesn't match the curve of the rear fender, the fender seems too hang to low under the board and so on. Where is the right place to start? Do I start in the front and work to the back or vice versa? Is it normal to have to trim these parts to fit? What's the best way to make the fiberglass fender match the steel board? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

#6 ·
running boards /fenders

in my truck 38 the running boards sit on brackets bolted to the frame.start there.the front fenders seem to sit on the running boards.the running boards seem to slide back till they hit the rear fenders..put a few nuts/bolts in but leave them a little loose you will need an assistant,plenty nuts/bolts /spanners to hand.best of luck i will be tackeling this shortly,

#7 ·
First off, and foremost, you are dealing with reproduction parts. Reproduction parts are not the "same" as original, they are "similar and can be used if nothing is available" pure and simple, they are not going to fit like original.

Ok, that being said, without photos we can't tell you much of anything, nor can any other site. We need photos to see what you are talking about.

Things like "seems too low", "seems to hang down" are extremely subjective terms. What is wrong to you could mean a grinder and a second and a half on the fiberglass to correct to us. Or it could be that you have totally wrong fenders, and "seems too low" is three and a half inches off, we don't know.

So post some photos and let's get you through this.

Brian

#8 ·
Oh dear God, I did it again, this thread is 4 years old runattax! Geeez, the guy has the car done and has went to three NSRA Nationals in it......or sold it at the next swap meet. But he sure as heck isn't messing with these fenders after all this time.....I hope he isn't!

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.