Putting 383 Into 75 Camaro - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2010, 03:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Putting 383 Into 75 Camaro

Hey everyone- new to the forum as of today.
I have a 75 Camaro with the original inline 6, TH-350 transmission, 10 bolt rear end with I think 2.73. It is my daily driver, and currently runs excellent with just over 100K miles...but considering building it up. (My HP now is around 115). I found this company who wholesales/distributes 350 remans, and they have for sale a 383 stroker with all new parts except crank rated 375HP, 425 torque, with 5 year/50k warranty, for $2,150. I'm a beginner, but this sounds good.
I would love to get feedback on my plan: Strenghten my TH-350 with shift kit (and torque conv???), replace my rear end with something in the 3's, new front end susp/steer kit from Moog or PST, maybe front sway bar (I've heard just front and not rear???), and all other things needed for swap. I would still use the car as my daily driver. Hoping for a very drivable muscle car.
Any and all feedback is very welcome!!
Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	45190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maro2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	45191   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	45192  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Might be me but that sounds awful cheap. But would be sweet with a 383 and a set of 3.42 gears. And the right converter.

Cole
Old 04-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

I like it. That vintage Camaro doesn't get the respect it deserves, they were slugs new but many a fast street car was built out of one back then. I always liked the lines, 5 MPH bumpers and all.

A built TH350 can handle it but I'd run a modified 200-4R, the OD would maintain some mileage for your daily driving and reduce wear on the engine. Freeway cruising and 3.73's gets old real quick. You'll get a lot of votes for the 700R4 but it would cost the same to build a 700R4 for similar power and the 200-4R is the same length as your current TH350 and uses the same driveshaft and yoke. The 200-4R has a more even gear spread and is a 33% OD vs. 30% on the 700, a minor difference. For the 200-4R slide the crossmember back to the sub frame holes for a TH400 and that part is done. The 700R4 would require a different yoke and shortening of your driveshaft.

Your current rear end is an 8.5 inch 10 bolt, plenty strong for your needs just get a posi and some 3.73 gears, at that power range stock axles will hold up. I's think about a C-clip eliminator kit though. Your also going to need to consider some suspension upgrades for the back end as well. Traction will be an issue and something people don't talk about much anymore is wheel hop. Old tired leaf springs will try to wrap themselves around the axle on a hard launch and the rear tires start jumping around like a jack rabbit in heat's back leg........... Tears things up in a big hurry and it doesn't look cool either.

Shiftworks makes a conversion kit to convert your stock console shifter to the 200-4R or 700R4 pattern if you go that route. A friend used one in his '64 Impala SS and it is really slick.

Hmmmm, makes me want to go out and find a clean '74-'77 Camaro and build a 70's style street machine. Front end raised up about 4 inches to keep the Moroso deep sump oil pan from hanging up on the tar strips, back end raised 4 inches to clear the Pro Trac N50 white lettered tires on Centerline wheels, yellow Lakewood slapper bars, L-88 hood scoop, cowl mounted fuel pressure gauge, 10" foam grip steering wheel, Dixco tach with a lace garter around it, Boston or Kansas in the 8-track and a "Disco Sucks" bumper sticker........... Those were the days.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideMan
with all new parts except crank
What does this mean exactly? No crank? Used crank?
Old 04-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
What does this mean exactly? No crank? Used crank?
I was just thinking the same thing Richard . and Hippie those were the days i remember them well .

Cole
Old 04-17-2010, 07:41 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

I'm curious if you really have a TH-350 behind that 6 cylinder? It seems to me there was a lighter trans built that was very similar in outside appearance to the TH-350. A TH-250 maybe? You may want to be absolutely sure of which trans you have before you stick 425 lb-ft to it.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:20 PM

Last photo:

Disco Sucks...

Awesome responses...good stuff, Hippie. I will look into the 200-4r some more. I've thought about changing my ride height- but will I have less control being higher? I'm pretty low and wide right now. Gotta get me a "disco sucks" sticker- I'm 29, so that would be pretty funny.
Sorry if I was unclear about the "crank" part- in my rookie language what I meant to say was that all parts were new, except for a used crankshaft.
I called the guy today to try and get a parts list, especially to be able to post for you guys to see, and he emailed me two photos of his 383's instead of a parts list , although he told me the parts over the phone- all I wrote down was molly rings, new dampener, 383 scat crank, performer intake makinfold, and stock heads.
Here is the link to the main site (go to: engines)http://www.sierraenginesdirect.com/
I attached photo's, which I know may not matter for much.
Had a mechanic eye the trans and tell me its a TH350, and I looked myself, but I will double check from my manual.
Thanks guys!!! Hopefully the guy emails back with the parts list, and I will re-post...
Old 04-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

I wouldn't raise the car, concentrate on cornering, that's where these cars can shine. Try to score the suspension and quick ratio steering out of a '70-'81 Z/28 or T/A. The T/A front dprings would be to stiff and raise the front end but everything else would work. I owned 5 different 2nd gen Camaros including a '71 and '81 Z/28. The '81 was a 305 4 speed and no power houe but man did that thing corner good! especially after replacing the stock 225/70's for some 60 series radials.

Seriously if i was to build another one of these it would be setup to corner with a later roller cam 383 small block, Tuned Port Injection and a 5 or 6 speed.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

I would get a complete 96+ 350 votec (factory roller cam) used for about $500 to $700. complete from fan to flexplate with starter, belts, pulleys, valve covers, and all the brackets.

then take it to your local machine shop for stock rebuild. should cost about 800 in parts and machine cost then another 400 to assemble.

Then you will need a vortec perfomer intake and a 600 holley carb and a set of headers. another 500 dollars

then a new exhaust system (2-1/4 or 2-1/2 inch with dynomax super turbos). another 400.

so for 3000 you will have a roller cam vortec 350 engine with 300hp and will work well with the stock 2.73 gears.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.