Hot Rod Forum banner

putting camel hump heads on a 400sbc

16K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  racecar100 
#1 ·
i have a set of camel hump heads that i wud like to put on my 400 and need to know if there is any certian things i need to do to the heads before they are installed

#9 ·
327NUT said:
OHHHHHHH CHIT MAN!! .... don't build a 400, it'll overheat!!!.... thats "the word on the street"....just ask Torque454........he knows ALL ABOUT THEM!!
thats an ol wives tale that doesnt hold true!
you hear that from people that never built them.
my 406 never gets about 185 on 90 degree days in stop and go traffic.

#12 ·
lets not scare the man. 400 sbc's can be cooled and not over heat on the street. here's how. drill steam holes in those heads if you really plan on using them. also while having the heads off time to do some plumbing. on the block between the two center bore there is a plug in the water jacket on each side. remove them, then coming off your water pump from your heater hose port come out with the proper fitting and T it off and run a hose to each side and properly fit in water jacket. this will provide cooler water to the siamese cylinders and keep from over heating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.