Putting a newer interior in a 66 Galaxie...Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2013, 12:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Putting a newer interior in a 66 Galaxie...Question

I haven't posted in ages, but I have a question... Does anyone know what modern interiors would fit inside a 1966 Ford Galaxie 500xl? I know they won't just bolt on, but some will fit in the car and some won't.

I have a 4door that is a train wreck and since all the interior trim pieces are out of my budget I want to put an interior from a newer car in it.

The local salvage yard has NICE interiors from anything like a 2001 BMW 730i(or whatever) to late 90's towncars... I would love something like that in there... I can do plenty of welding, so that's not an issue... I was thinking of using the old dash, but newer door panels(maybe custom) and the new model seats and everything... I would put in an aftermarket steering wheel (grant) and I think that would be fine... I am going to paint it flat black, lower it 3", and place all the chrome with GLOSSY black...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 12:43 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

I understand where you're coming from, but what you want to do isn't even a remote possibility. About the only thing you could do is get a pair of front seats you like and have the original rear seat upholstered to match. The reason is that the newer rear seats sit right flush to the floor of the car, and none of them will be as wide or as high or as deep as the original rear seat. Door panels can be custom made, but if the original parts are out of your price range, wait until you find out what custom work costs.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:43 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

interior swap.

Years ago my brother bought a 63 buick that rolled over a cliff above Reno Nevada, It only had 300 miles on it, He swaped in the buick drive train,Power Seat and screwed the door panels on, there were a couple window and interior handle holes that didn't line up. He said they looked better than the plain metal stock truck interior. For My son's "Rat Rod" 22 dodge lakester he found some Free leather sofa's on craigs list. Expensive furniture has leather backs that have never been sat on, cheaper ones mix vinyl on non wear areas. Rat rod style. get some free interior house doors and peel off the thin plywood door skin for your backing, glue and staples to make new door panels.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
get some free interior house doors and peel off the thin plywood door skin for your backing, glue and staples to make new door panels.
Seriously? New door panel material would cost at most $10.00 a door. If he can't afford to spend $40 on door panels how's he going to paint the car or do anything else to it?

Also, nobody gives away expensive leather furniture that is 100% leather, which are few and far between at best. Then you're paying for the furniture part of the deal too, instead of just the leather. The backs aren't going to be one big piece of leather, they will be in three or four pieces, and the best leather won't be on the back. The salvage yards don't give away car interiors, either. All of this costs money, no matter which way it is done.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:18 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

By not being able to afford it I meant that the Galaxie parts are way more than the 65 mustang I built... and this car isn't worth it to me... The interior door panel sets are $700+ I have the origional parts for everything and was thinking about making to fiberglass molds from the origional panels but doign it with the arm rests built in.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

It is a matter of being creative and taking your time for pieces to show up tha twill work for you...If you are in a hurry to get er done then go see Dan or someone like him and pay the bill..The fronts will work and if it is a rat then get some mexican blankets..

Sam
Old 05-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio_research View Post
By not being able to afford it I meant that the Galaxie parts are way more than the 65 mustang I built... and this car isn't worth it to me... The interior door panel sets are $700+ I have the origional parts for everything and was thinking about making to fiberglass molds from the origional panels but doign it with the arm rests built in.
Where are you looking for the Galaxie parts? Dearborn Classics has the set of four panels for the 500XL in about five different colors for $400.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.