putting quarter panels in my mustang, where to cut? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2005, 12:30 PM

Last wiki edit: Calculating tire size
Last journal entry: Changes...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

putting quarter panels in my mustang, where to cut?

I've got an '88 mustang I bought recently, and the quarter panels are bondoed up pretty badly. I think there is rust underneath the bondo, and I know there was a collision on one side. Also there are rust holes where the rocker and quarter panel meet in the door jamb.

I found a mustang that has collision damage to the front yet the rear quarters are perfect, I want to put them on my car. The thing is, don't know where to cut them. How to detach them from the wheel well? I want to take part of the door jamb too, mine is rusted in the bottom corner.

I have a flanging tool and a flux core mig welder, I'm considering plug welding in the new panels, or bonding them in with adhesive. Which way am I better off with?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2005, 01:41 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

First of off let me say I dont know anything about Mustangs

But I think a lot of it depends on how much they will give you when you buy the rear quarters. It seems logical that the only face body seam is between the rear side glass and hatch. If there is a factory seam there (look under your panels) I would ask them to cut above it on the donor car and leave the seam.

If you can get them to cut out the Jamb and part of the rocker and wheel well I would go for that. Then you can grind away the "extra" pieces and have basically a factory complete quarter. Not knowing the extent of where your current rust is its hard to say where you should cut otherwise

If you do the above you can plug weld almost everything and only have a short surface weld (splice to deal with). I dont know anything about bonding with adhesive but I would plug weld where the factory spot welded it and continuos weld the short seam. I personally dont like flux core for what you are trying to do. I used it for a while on my small welder but converted it to gas so I dont have to deal with flux or all the smoke it puts off.

Welding sheet metal is all about controlling the heat. Its hard to stop and restart again when you have flux slag to contend with.

Sorry I cant be more specific not knowing the car. Just see if they will sell you the quarters with the extra metal around it attached.

Rich
Old 07-14-2005, 03:44 PM

Last wiki edit: Calculating tire size
Last journal entry: Changes...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I'm buying the whole car, and I am going to be cutting the panels out myself so I can cut it wherever I want.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:13 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Oh my God, a pair of used quarters! Man, that is a ton of work, it is like doing four quarter panel jobs. Other than the sail panel you remove it just as the factory put it on. There are spot weld you need to drill out along wheel well lip, in the door jamb, under the belt moulding at the quarter window, along the bottom of the quarter behind the wheel, at the rear body panel and the little surprise ones at the rocker inside the quarter.

Brian
Old 07-14-2005, 09:11 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

You first have to cut your car to see the extent of the rust damage. From that point you can either use the complete panel or splice it in under the moulding line.

It would also be easier (I think) to cut the quarter away from the latch pillar and piece the latch pillar in.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.