Puzzling temperature problem on the hemi solved
Well, after ordering two 160* high flow thermostats (no one around here had any) and a mechanical temp gauge from Summit, I wound up sending the thermostats back (they sent the wrong ones), and this morning I sent the temp gauge back. It had been sold before (the installation instructions were covered with greasy finger prints and, of course, the gauge didn't work. Every once in a while Summit just totally screws up but at least they always make it right.
Anyway, changed the sender on the electric temp gauge and that didn't solve the problem. So the only other thing I could do was change the wire from the sender to the gauge. Installed a temporary new wire and the gauge read 185*. So.... I figured thats the problem. I'll just fish a new wire through the firewall and problem solved. NOT SO FAST.... that didn't solve the problem either. With the new wire the gauge still slowly went up to 220 before I shut it off. OK so now the only thing that could conceivably be the problem, is the gauge itself. The idea that a brand new gauge could be bad really ticks me off but I know it does happen so I made a quick trip to the local auto parts store. Picked up a small Sunpro mechanical temp gauge and with that installed the hemi sits at 155* (38* outside air temp) and won't go any higher which is just about what I thought it was doing all along. I guess the brand new electric temp gauge will be going back to the manufacturer for replacement and I can consider another one of the "new rod" bugs worked out.