PVC board didn't work out, Need help forming large, curved panel (Pics) - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 09:39 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks everyone. I'm still slowly working at this. I ended up making it out of 3 pieces total and now it flares out the way it should but it still needs a LOT of work! I took a break because I'm getting a little frustrated. Problems I'm having:

1. The curves are not very smooth, they're a little bit rippled. I'm going to reheat these and see if I can make them curve nicely.

2. The whole piece is "floppy". It needs some type of reinforcement across the whole backside so it's stiff. Maybe this doesn't matter?

3. The part I'm most puzzled about is at the top, it should go back 90 degrees to cover the top ledge before it hits the glass rubber. I might try and put the board in the truck and cut slits on each side before the panel starts to curve to see if I can heat it in the truck and bend it back. Not sure what I'll do where the ledge curves back into the door opening.

I will post more pics tomorrow.

Jeff

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Yes, the piece is going to be "floppy" until you attach it the the truck.

If you want this panel to make a 90 degree turn at the top, make the ledge out of a separate piece. It will not make a 90 degree turn very easily, and it will need relief cuts to get it to bend around a corner. You're still trying to make one piece work where you need to attach separate pieces to do what you want.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:28 PM

Dan, sorry I thought about how to make the ledge separately but couldn't think of a way to butt it with the back panel. Thinking about it, I think I know how. Before I post any more pics, let me work on the ledge.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:40 PM

Sorry, I've been working on some other things and haven't worked on this much. Here is what I ended up doing:

You can see I had to cut pie shapes in it. In the corners it took a couple of pieces:

You can't see it that well but the top ledge I was asking about I did in small pieces and folding it over by heating it with the heat gun and then folding it over using a paint stirring stick. I also found it better to tape it in there the way I want it and work with it in the truck rather than pulling it in and out. A new razor blade every few minutes does wonders and cuts through this easily.

I have two questions though about my next steps:

1. Will 1/4" foam be too thick? Can it be worked in one solid piece around all the curves?

2. My biggest worry is that the panel is a little "floppy" and as soon as it comes out, it has a tendency to spring inwards. Is that okay or does the panel have to be covered while it's in the truck? In other words, if I take it out and it springs in 1" on each side and I get it covered, will it go back where it should after it's covered?
Old 01-22-2012, 08:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

If the board springs out or in, then just cover the panel in the truck. Once it's done it doesn't ever have to come out. 1/4" foam should be fine. It should stretch enough that you should be able to do it with one large piece, but give yourself plenty of extra, like 3 inches or more around the perimeter.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:28 AM

Dan,
I know you're not a fan of 3M aerosol glue but since I don't have a gun or the Landau glue, can I spray the 3M and lay the foam so the piece will set where it needs and then take it to the upholsterer for the vinyl? I don't think he will come to the house and do it.

Jeff
Old 01-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I don't care for most aerosols, but 3-M 90 is fine, the ones I don't care for the most are 3-M 74 or 77. Scuff the PVC foamboard slightly so the surface isn't slick and shiny before you glue on the foam.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.