PVC board didn't work out, Need help forming large, curved panel (Pics) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011, 10:01 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

PVC board didn't work out, Need help forming large, curved panel (Pics)

I bought a 4x8 sheet of 3mm PVC board and practiced making bends on it and was real happy with it but when I tried it to make the back panel on the inside of my cab, not so good! I didn't realize how there was actually a compound curve as the bottom of the cab swoops back. Here is my progress:

The panel will be visible but barely and my plan was to cover it in vinyl to match the seats. No design or anything complicated. I'm wondering if fiberglass might be the only solution but hoping not because I don't have much experience with it. This would require a huge mold! The only fiberglass resin and mat I see are at the hardware stores and it seems pretty expensive for such a small amount. A project this size would require a lot of resin and mat, yes?

Hopefully, someone has another idea on how to get this done. I need help.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2011, 10:16 AM

Last photo:

Just thinking out loud. I wonder what a sheet metal shop would charge to make one for you.

There is a shop near here that does special stuff like this for hot rods because the guy likes the old cars. He does not charge to much either. The last panel I had made he only charged me for the metal itself. It took less than ten minutes to make.

It wouldn't hurt to ask around. If the panel is made of metal it would last longer.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:35 AM

That would be alright but the truck isn't running yet so I probably couldn't take the truck to a shop. I wonder how they would get the metal to flare out at the bottom? Where in TX is this shop?

Seems like this shouldn't be so complicated but waiting for other ideas!
Old 12-28-2011, 10:46 AM

Last photo:

This company, http://www.tapplastics.com/ sells fiberglass supplies, and plastic supplies.
If you decide to go with fiberglass, you can get fiberglass, and resins at much better prices than buying small bits and pieces of fiberglass supplies at hardware stores.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:56 AM

Last photo:

Jeff,
They would have a roller press to bend the angles as needed. It is really simple. You just move the sheet metal to a different angle then roll press the curve into it.

I think the problem you are having is trying to figure out how to make the bend flair out wider at the bottom. It is really easy to do. Just angle the sheet and bend it.

For example instead of putting the sheet in square with the press you would put it in askew, or at an angle. Then bend the sheet as needed. It would take a bout ten minutes to make this piece for the truck like in your pictures.

I made one myself similar to this at home for my 68 Chevy truck. I got a 6" piece of PVC pipe and marked the angles as needed. (wider at the bottom) Them I laid the sheet metal flat on the driveway and put the PVC on top of the sheet where I had marked it. I got a friend to hold each end of the PVC pipe and simply bent the sheet metal over the PVC pipe. It worked great.
The trick is DON'T cut the sheet until AFTER you bend it. If you cut it first it will be short on the bends. (unless you can do the math to figure the curve)

If possible it might fit better if a shop did this but you could do it at home yourself.

The shop is in Dallas. I can't remember the name of the shop. I'll have to get that next time I go by there. They have been there since the 60's.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:25 AM

Last photo:

I sent you a PM I don't know if you got it or not.

Check out https://twitter.com/#!/SullivanMtrspts
This is not the shop I was telling you about before. I can't find their info. I know the guys at Sullivan Motorsports as well. These guys are VERY Good and can make what you need.

They are in the Royal Lane and 35 area in Dallas.

From their Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/SullivanMtrspts
Terry Sullivan Racer and Owner Racing Transmissions and Components Chassis Shop Currently Running Super Gas/ Super Comp NHRA 972-406-3993

Old 12-28-2011, 11:27 AM

Last photo:

I know I have not been on this site for awhile but what happened to all my old post? It looks like I am a newbie here.

Did something happen and the post count got deleted?

Old 12-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

I think most of your posts wer in the "Lounge" area.
Those posts do not count as posts---I guess it may be a technical point of view.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:39 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Bryan, that may be the case.

We had a car stolen and it (the theft) was posted on this site. I can't remember but I think that was in the "lounge' area.

Maybe I need to read other post here more often.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:15 PM

Last photo:

Why don't you try making the corner pieces separate, then tape them to the large part to fit them, you would then be able to see what you need and how to do it.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMJ
Why don't you try making the corner pieces separate, then tape them to the large part to fit them, you would then be able to see what you need and how to do it.
DMJ has the right idea. Here's what I would do, I'll try to esplain

First find the center of the back window, make a mark with a sharpie at the bottom center of the window. Transfer this mark straight down to the floor. Then measure from the mark at the center of the window over to where the curve starts. Do this on both sides of the center mark (these should be the same distance, side to side) and transfer these marks straight down to the floor. Take some poster board and cut it into 1" to 2" wide strips. Using the marks at the curve attach one strip straight up and down with magnets or tape. Place another strip straight up and down to the other end of the curve at the B pillar. Here's where one of my favorite tools comes in, a hot glue gun. Using the hot glue attach strips horizontally overlapping between the two vertical strips pushing them into the shape of the curve, one at the top and one at the bottom, at least, with a couple more equal distance apart. When the glue sets remove the strips from the truck. You now have a pattern of the curve. The pattern might lay flat, but probably won't so you'll have to play around with tracing it out on a full sheet of poster board while you roll the pattern out. Now cut the traced pattern out of the poster board and see how it fits, this should have gotten you close and if your really lucky will fit the other side as well when it's reversed. Once you have it fitting how you like just measure up the rectangle under the window and add the pattern shape to the ends.
I've read this over a dozen times, I think it makes sense...........
Old 12-29-2011, 07:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemo
I bought a 4x8 sheet of 3mm PVC board and practiced making bends on it and was real happy with it but when I tried it to make the back panel on the inside of my cab, not so good! I didn't realize how there was actually a compound curve as the bottom of the cab swoops back. Here is my progress:

The panel will be visible but barely and my plan was to cover it in vinyl to match the seats. No design or anything complicated. I'm wondering if fiberglass might be the only solution but hoping not because I don't have much experience with it. This would require a huge mold! The only fiberglass resin and mat I see are at the hardware stores and it seems pretty expensive for such a small amount. A project this size would require a lot of resin and mat, yes?

Hopefully, someone has another idea on how to get this done. I need help.

Jeff
You're trying to make the panel out of one big piece. Make the panel in three or four pieces. Make the corner pieces as small as you can, just enough to make the curve and get to the straight part of the back wall. Once the corners are in place, it will be easy to fit the straight part. You can glue the whole thing together, put a thin padding on it, and cover it with vinyl. No one will ever know the panel is pieced together when it's done.

The seams can be glued together on the front and back with some kind of thin man-made fabric like Versare.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:11 PM

Last journal entry: Century Boat Cushions
Last photo:

Making the panel in multiple pieces is the easiest way to go. When you have all the pieces fitting properly, they can be glued together with PVC cement. The PVC board is fairly easy to manipulate with heat, so you really shouldn't have many problems.

Schlock Rod
Old 01-06-2012, 08:50 PM

Is the PVC panel more brittle than a ABS panel?
Old 01-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

No, PVC foamboard is not at all brittle, and it's way less expensive than ABS.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.