Q & A about frames - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 09:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Q & A about frames

My brother and I are starting a 1937 Dodge coupe project. I have a frame diagram for a 1937 Plymouth. My question is are the two frames alike? And if not, what are the differences?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2011, 01:53 PM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

I really don't know but, I would ASSUME they are. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I answered this just to bump it up so that you might get more attention.

454 RATTLER
Old 04-19-2011, 02:15 PM

Got a be someone out there with info on Dodge and Plymouth coupes

Thanks for the reply. 454 rattler. We are just getting ready to start this project and I'm trying to do my home work first. I know there are subtle differences between the Plymouth and the Dodge, like the width of the fenders and running boards. Just need info on the frame.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Do you have anything left of the old dodge frame..some measuring should tell the tale..

Sam
Old 04-19-2011, 03:00 PM

Last photo:

Q & A

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
Do you have anything left of the old dodge frame..some measuring should tell the tale..

Sam
I agree with Sam. The fenders and running boards stick out past the frame so they don't really count, the fenders mount to the body and the running boards mount to the fenders and the frame cover. The only thing that could cause trouble is if you want to restore it then somethings could give you trouble. If you are building a street rod really doesn't make a difference, as you will more than likely change the front, and put a different rearend in it.

Bob
Old 04-19-2011, 03:09 PM

A little clarification

I realize this frame question seems to be quite simple. Considering I have the original frame. Like I previously said on trying to do as much research on my own as I possibly can, because my brother works multiple jobs and is very busy. I would've in turn already checked these measurements and dimensions, but my accident left me paralyzed from the chest down. I realize it seems kind of trivial, but it will help me out in the long run. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:19 PM

Last photo:

37 Dodge/plymouth

Hey Man, Just a quick check in some of my reference sources revealed that the '37 Dodge D5 was offered in two wheelbases 115" and 132" with the 115" being the most common. The D6 and D7 export models were 112".

The '37 Plymouth P3 and P4 were both 112" wheelbase.

This was all I could find on the frames in my resources. olnolan

Here are the links;http://www.carnut.com/specs/gen/dodge30.html
http://www.carnut.com/specs/gen/ply30.html
Old 04-19-2011, 03:21 PM

Last photo:

Q & A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzed rodder
I realize this frame question seems to be quite simple. Considering I have the original frame. Like I previously said on trying to do as much research on my own as I possibly can, because my brother works multiple jobs and is very busy. I would've in turn already checked these measurements and dimensions, but my accident left me paralyzed from the chest down. I realize it seems kind of trivial, but it will help me out in the long run. Thanks everyone.
Sorry to here of your accident. So you can't just jump down and measure the frame. If you have the original frame, may I ask why you want to put a different frame under it, or is the one you have all rusted out, or so bad that it can't be fixed.

Any of us here would be glad the help, but we have to know what we are looking for.

Bob
Old 04-19-2011, 03:40 PM

Frame explanation

I'm sorry for all the confusion, Bob. The thing is, my car doesn't have any of the original suspension left under the car. It is also missing a lot of the sheet metal, such as the front fenders and one of the rear fenders. I was hoping someone had an actual diagrams with the wheelbase, centerlines, and all the different measurements so I would be a will to square the frame, and get my front and rear suspension in the correct place. I appreciate the interest!
Old 04-19-2011, 04:02 PM

Last photo:

Q & A

Quote:
I'm sorry for all the confusion, Bob. The thing is, my car doesn't have any of the original suspension left under the car. It is also missing a lot of the sheet metal, such as the front fenders and one of the rear fenders. I was hoping someone had an actual diagrams with the wheelbase, centerlines, and all the different measurements so I would be a will to square the frame, and get my front and rear suspension in the correct place. I appreciate the interest!
That helps a lot First off, before I got to far into it, you are missing a couple of important things the front fenders, can you get some, and the rear fender.
You will waste a lot of time and money on a frame if you can't find those. So I would look for those first.

I'm sure you have done this but, I will ask any how. Have you googled the DIM of the frame. You could also start a new thread, asking about your frame, asking if anyone has a 37 Dodge, you are working on a car that not a lot of guys have, so you will have a little more work on finding thing, that if it were a Ford or Chevy.

But I would make sure I could get fenders, before anything else, if you see what I mean. Nylon found the websites that might help you. but you still need fenders.

Bob
Old 04-19-2011, 04:44 PM

My dilemma

Bob, I know these are essential pieces. I located a 37 sedans and as far as I can tell the front ends of the same. My problem is I've been on the guy for about two months, but I can't get him to retrieve the car. The parts are available from Plymouth Dr., but I don't have the money for new pieces. That's why I was looking for these important dimensions, thought maybe I can get jump started on the framework. I do appreciate the ideas, I'll take your advice and start a new thread and maybe I can find someone with one of these rare beasts! Thanks a lot Jason.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:02 PM

Last photo:

Q & A

Quote:
Bob, I know these are essential pieces. I located a 37 sedans and as far as I can tell the front ends of the same. My problem is I've been on the guy for about two months, but I can't get him to retrieve the car. The parts are available from Plymouth Dr., but I don't have the money for new pieces. That's why I was looking for these important dimensions, thought maybe I can get jump started on the framework. I do appreciate the ideas, I'll take your advice and start a new thread and maybe I can find someone with one of these rare beasts! Thanks a lot Jason.
Jason Now that I know you have found fenders, I feel you are good to go. I would also look In Hemmings, as a backup for fenders. Try google for your frame or start a new thread, make sure the header gives the info you want.
like info on 37 Dodge frame help.

good luck.

Bob

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.