Q about street rod harnesses... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2008, 11:49 AM

Last journal entry: Hand brake
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Q about street rod harnesses...

The street rod harnesses I've seen, both cheap and expensive ones, have spesific switches (or couplers) for dim light, wiper/washer and ignition. At the same time the harnesses have coupler for GM column.
Why don't they just use the wiper and dim switch that's already on the GM column?

I have a 1990 Chevy Astro column in my hot rod and I want to use the switches that's on the column. Is that possible without lots of rewiring and such?

I know it's CC on my column too, but that function will not be used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2008, 12:18 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

A lot of the early GM columns didn't have the dimmer switch on one of the column levers. Secondly, companies like IDIDIT only recently (within the last 2-3 years) started manufacturing a column with an integral dimmer as an option. American Autowire gives you the option of either way plus they supply both connectors for each of the two different GM wiring configurations. Then, if you really want a column operated switch, Watson Street Works makes a replacement directional lever and supplies a relay(with poor instructions that Mr Watson and I had a rather heated discussion about) for use on the IDIDIT column - which I have though not currently being used yet, but will soon.

Dave W
Old 12-27-2008, 12:27 PM

Last photo:

Ok. Thanks!

So, If I buy an EZ or Painless, I'm in trouble?

Or do the enclosed GM column connectors in the street rod harnesses have blinded spaces where the stock GM wires for those functions runs?
Old 12-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by staleg
Why don't they just use the wiper and dim switch that's already on the GM column?
Because MOST rodders here stateside want to use a cleaner, smaller diameter column

The early Chevrolet and GMC vans of the 70's ( with tilt ) are highly sought after by street rodders here. They are in such high demand, that Ididit and others now make aftermarket columns patterned after the early van ones.

The laws of supply and demand has gotten some rodders to using the later columns and then the wiring harness folks had to change their stuff so the later columns would work with their harness.

I would imagine a early Chevrolet van with tilt would be next to impossible to find in your country

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 12-27-2008, 02:25 PM

Last photo:

Not next to impossible, but expensive and woren out, yes.

I see the point with the cleaner look, of course.
But I want easy to reach switches on the column. And since my car have a manual transmission, a dimmer switch on the floor doesn't fit in my opinion.

But that's me.

So, how hard will it be to rebuild an electrical harness to work with the newer type GM column?
Old 12-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Ok. Thanks!

So, If I buy an EZ or Painless, I'm in trouble?

Or do the enclosed GM column connectors in the street rod harnesses have blinded spaces where the stock GM wires for those functions runs?
I mostly use EZ-Wiring in all the car that I have done..But as I recall on all the ones I have used,They do have blind spaces on the column connectors,But you will have to re-route some wires..Most of the wiring harnesses, are set up for the new flaming rivers,and Ididit columns..But I'm sure it wouldn't take much to make your column work with there harness.I would call them and see if they make one ready to go.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:15 PM

Last photo:

Is this what you are looing for?

Quote:
Is this what you are looking for?

http://haywireinc.com/catalog/produc...7enms1me8s0n94
Old 12-29-2008, 11:47 AM

Last photo:

I've put a tilt column from an '86 Firebird in my '79 K10, so I've done the same thing as you are looking at. I didn't connect the dimmer (I like the dimmer on the floor), but I did use the wiper switch.

The dimmer switch is easy to "modify" for the new column - primarily because it uses the same 3-wire connector. You just have to make sure that the wires are the right length, and then plug it in after making any necessary modifications.

On the other hand, the wiper switch uses it's own (or at least that's my experience - it's the same layout on the '86 as well as my '00 Trans Am), separate harmonica-type connector of 8? contacts. If you've saved both halves of the connector, then your best course of action would be to dismantle the harness-side connector and hook up the new wires (or splice, solder and shrink-wrap to the old connector). In this case, the switch schematics would be invaluable so that you can get the wiring correct without a lot of trial-and-error. I will also say that this is easiest on a basic, non-delay wiper switch.

I can get some pics up of the wiper connector (it uses Pack-Con II terminals, which I have been able to find at my local parts store) sometime in the near future if ya want. Re-doing the connector is not all that hard, you just have to know where to stick the screwdriver so that the pieces come out more or less intact. If you're willing to wait, then I might even be able to hit the local junkyard over the weekend and get a better idea of how a '90 Astro column might differ than the Firebird column.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Apache
Looks like that, yes.
It doesn't say anything about windshield washer viper function. tow.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone
I've put a tilt column from an '86 Firebird in my '79 K10, so I've done the same thing as you are looking at. I didn't connect the dimmer (I like the dimmer on the floor), but I did use the wiper switch.

The dimmer switch is easy to "modify" for the new column - primarily because it uses the same 3-wire connector. You just have to make sure that the wires are the right length, and then plug it in after making any necessary modifications.

On the other hand, the wiper switch uses it's own (or at least that's my experience - it's the same layout on the '86 as well as my '00 Trans Am), separate harmonica-type connector of 8? contacts. If you've saved both halves of the connector, then your best course of action would be to dismantle the harness-side connector and hook up the new wires (or splice, solder and shrink-wrap to the old connector). In this case, the switch schematics would be invaluable so that you can get the wiring correct without a lot of trial-and-error. I will also say that this is easiest on a basic, non-delay wiper switch.

I can get some pics up of the wiper connector (it uses Pack-Con II terminals, which I have been able to find at my local parts store) sometime in the near future if ya want. Re-doing the connector is not all that hard, you just have to know where to stick the screwdriver so that the pieces come out more or less intact. If you're willing to wait, then I might even be able to hit the local junkyard over the weekend and get a better idea of how a '90 Astro column might differ than the Firebird column.
Thank you!
I would appreciate very much the information!

But I'll check out the Haywire alternative first. If their harness also cover the washer/wiper, I'll probably go for that.

How is the quality on the Haywire harness, by the way? Especially the diameter on the wires.

Last edited by staleg; 12-30-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:22 PM

Last photo:

Haywire

The quality of the wire appears good. I suspect that most of the wire harness makers get their wire from the same sources.

What sold me on them was a seminar at a car show they put on. The ole guy new his stuff and offered his cell phone number for support. And while you won't find his cell phone number on their web site, I have had to contact them for a couple of support issues, not directly relating to the harness itself, and they have been pretty good. Sent me a wiring diagram of a headlight switch by e-mail, sent me follow up e-mails and offered to talk to me on the phone.

Their instructions could be better, but if you're half way knowledgable in electrical you may not even need instructions.

I started wiring a friend's car using a different brand and mine had a lot more "accessories" such as connectors, and terminal lugs etc. I wish mine had more, and I had to buy some additional connectors, but each car is different.

The one thing I was NOT happy with was the plastic connector that plugs into the headlight switch. That was pure garbage and I couldn't get it to work. I would like to find a quality one from a different source. But so far that's the ONLY thing.

I am pretty sure that you can get this same harness from Painless and American Autowire and they will likely have even better "kits" and accessories, but you're likely going to pay more as well.

Steve
Old 01-01-2009, 10:07 AM

Last photo:

Problem with Haywire is that their mailaddress don't work.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:29 AM

Last photo:

Finaly got a working mailaddess to Haywire.
Contacted both Haywire and EZ with the same question: How do I hook up the wiper switch to my '90 mod Astro column, (the dimmer swich seems like an easy fix).

Haywire said it couldn't be done without using a GM wiper motor as well, EZ said "it can be done".

As Brimstone adviced me to, I've found a GM car ('87 Astro) on a wrecking yard not far from here and I will get all the harness halves of the connections on the column together with a few inches of wire.

Here's a photo of the electric contacts my column, by the way:

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.