Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Q About Zipper Foot
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 10:59 AM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by armysniper
Dusty one thing that might help with the control issue is this.
At the top of the treadle bar, up near the motor, there should be a wingnut that pre-loads a spring. If you loosen that spring the motor should engage with less sensitivity, and more control.

I don't know if all machines have that, but the few I have owned do and should help you out.
Thanks Mark! I'm Mark too by the way.

I went out to the garage about 10 minutes ago and found the spring and wing nut you described, and I loosened it up a bit. That did increase the treadle travel quite a bit. I haven't tried sewing with it yet - still a bit too cold out there. I cut out the pieces to make my machine cover this morning, and as soon as it warms up a bit (supposed to be in the high 70's again today - woohoo!) I'm going to sew it together. Of course I'll report back on how the adjustment worked, and post a pic of the finished cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
What are the diameters of the pulley on the machine and the pulley on the clutch motor? If the pulley on the clutch motor is as big, or bigger, than the pulley on the machine, it would be very hard for you to control the speed. The speed of the motor should be 1725 RPM, is that what it says on the label?
While I was outside this morning, I measured the pulleys and checked out the motor. Yep, it's 1725 RPM, and the pulley on the motor has a 3 1/2" diameter. The pulley on the machine has a 3 1/4" diameter. So basically I need to go with a smaller pulley on the motor? What size would you recommend?

As I said in my reply to Sniper above, I adjusted the spring on the actuator arm a few minutes ago and that did increase the pedal travel some. The guy I got this from had it tightened down so that the spring was compressed about half way. I backed it off about half that distance, and I'm going to try it, then adjust it from there. Then I'm going to make my machine cover.

Again, you guys are the best. Thanks for all of your help.