Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Q-Jet carb?
Thread: Q-Jet carb?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 06:00 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by turchiac
I currently have a 750 Edelbrock performer carb on my mild 461 in a 81 2dr malibu and it works ok. I have been recently thinking about swapping it for a good Q-Jet. The car has 275/60/15 rear tires with 3.25 gears and an M20 4 speed. Engine is a 461 BBC with an rpm air gap intake, 9:1 comp, 1 3/4" headers, and comp 264HR cam. I like the idea of the small primary's for good throttle response and the big secondaries for max power. Car is street driven with occasional trips to the track, would a Q-Jet work fairly well in this application? If so does anyone other than JET and Edelbrock make them? Thank you in advance.
Oh hell yeah!!

That engine w/a Q-jet would be darned near ideal, IMO. I would use the Edelbrock #7164 Performer RPM Q-jet intake instead of the plane-Jane #2161 Performer.

If you need some detailed Q-jet info to have at your disposal, Cliff Ruggles has a book out titled "How To Build and Modify Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors" that is highly recommended, as is Doug Roe's "Rochester Carburetors".

Most guys seem to prefer the Ruggles book if you were to only get one or the other, it is considered more "down to earth" and has individual "recipes" to follow for different combinations of parts used, like cam duration.

But that said, it would be a shame to have to buy another intake for use w/the Q-jet. Unless economy is a big deal to you (anyone driving a BBC as a DD is getting killed- regardless of carb- as far as MPG goes, anyway) you could also use a 3310 Holley 750 vacuum secondary carb.

Often there is something to be gained by setting up a good advance curve in the distributor. Enough so that I would say it is just as important as the carb tune.