Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Q-Jet carb?
Thread: Q-Jet carb?
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 09:44 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqzbox
Yeah Cobalt, agree on the cfm upgrade. I was thinking of 750-800 range.
If you have a good speed shop around (and there still is a few) I would go in and order something up for a 454 or 502 and go from there and try for some feedback from the counter man with experience as ordering stuff like that sometimes get's confusing on the net.
I've always been a Holley man, just my preference, because I understand them more and Their easy for a simple guy like me to adj. It amazed me to also find that all the sprint cup cars use them exclusively. Hammer down!
My nephew is good friends w/the young man that runs (ran?) the sole surviving speed shop in the Orlando area (to my knowledge, anyway- there may be other shops open now). His family operated from the same place since the early '60's at least, maybe longer. Was almost an icon.

They outlasted the Super Shops stores that opened then failed, along w/the gas crises, economic upheaval and everything else including one fugly slob pos thief that worked there. But whatever, they're history, or close to it.

The little town I live near has nada in the way of a speed shop, nor does the counties adjacent to me on any side. If it wasn't for mail order, I'd be SOL! And this sucks, because I'm like you- I want to hold the parts in my grubby hands before I lay down a chunk o' cash! lol

IIRC, the NASCAR rules call for the exact Holley carb that is allowed to be used. I'm thinking there's a heck of a sweetheart deal there!!