Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Q-Jet carb? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/q-jet-carb-181083.html)

turchiac 07-14-2010 10:59 PM

Q-Jet carb?

I currently have a 750 Edelbrock performer carb on my mild 461 in a 81 2dr malibu and it works ok. I have been recently thinking about swapping it for a good Q-Jet. The car has 275/60/15 rear tires with 3.25 gears and an M20 4 speed. Engine is a 461 BBC with an rpm air gap intake, 9:1 comp, 1 3/4" headers, and comp 264HR cam. I like the idea of the small primary's for good throttle response and the big secondaries for max power. Car is street driven with occasional trips to the track, would a Q-Jet work fairly well in this application? If so does anyone other than JET and Edelbrock make them? Thank you in advance.

sqzbox 07-14-2010 11:25 PM

You know you need to change the intake right? Please don't tell me your thinking about buying an adapter to fit the intake you have now. :D

turchiac 07-14-2010 11:39 PM

No i'll be buying an edelbrock 2161 manifold if i go this route.

oldBodyman 07-14-2010 11:49 PM

"Car is street driven with occasional trips to the track, would a Q-Jet work fairly well in this application? If so does anyone other than JET and Edelbrock make them?"

a Q-Jet would be perfect for that but you do need a matching manifold. you should be looking for an Edelbrock RPM Q-Jet #1910 rated 850CFM, should be good to 600HP. I think they stopped selling them in 2005 so it would have to be used, I seriously doubt there are any NOS left in the world.

For a Rochester Quadrajet you would want 1976 & newer M4ME large size, 800CFM, the smaller 750CFM would likely run out of idle adjustment.

I think JET only rebuilds them

Have fun with the hunt.

kyle86 07-15-2010 12:01 AM

Have you tuned your edelbrock already? Since you already have an edelbrock then I would just tune that up so it's as efficient as possible if you havn't already. Q-jet is good and all, but why go through the hassle of switching out manifolds. If you're going to change to anything, put a holley 750 with vacuum secondaries up there. It can get really good MPG as well if you tune it dead on.

cobalt327 07-15-2010 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turchiac
I currently have a 750 Edelbrock performer carb on my mild 461 in a 81 2dr malibu and it works ok. I have been recently thinking about swapping it for a good Q-Jet. The car has 275/60/15 rear tires with 3.25 gears and an M20 4 speed. Engine is a 461 BBC with an rpm air gap intake, 9:1 comp, 1 3/4" headers, and comp 264HR cam. I like the idea of the small primary's for good throttle response and the big secondaries for max power. Car is street driven with occasional trips to the track, would a Q-Jet work fairly well in this application? If so does anyone other than JET and Edelbrock make them? Thank you in advance.

Oh hell yeah!!

That engine w/a Q-jet would be darned near ideal, IMO. I would use the Edelbrock #7164 Performer RPM Q-jet intake instead of the plane-Jane #2161 Performer.

If you need some detailed Q-jet info to have at your disposal, Cliff Ruggles has a book out titled "How To Build and Modify Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors" that is highly recommended, as is Doug Roe's "Rochester Carburetors".

Most guys seem to prefer the Ruggles book if you were to only get one or the other, it is considered more "down to earth" and has individual "recipes" to follow for different combinations of parts used, like cam duration.

But that said, it would be a shame to have to buy another intake for use w/the Q-jet. Unless economy is a big deal to you (anyone driving a BBC as a DD is getting killed- regardless of carb- as far as MPG goes, anyway) you could also use a 3310 Holley 750 vacuum secondary carb.

Often there is something to be gained by setting up a good advance curve in the distributor. Enough so that I would say it is just as important as the carb tune.

sqzbox 07-15-2010 07:09 AM

I like the idea of a spread bore vac. secondary Holley. My reason,

Had one on a pontiac 69 400cu. in. and it worked real good.
Less moving parts in the Holley.
It would be new.
Less chance for something that might go wrong with a refurbished carb.

Better "feel" as to where the secondary's are in the peddle travel because of the additional spring pressure on the secondary butter fly's. You can feel right where the primary's end and where the secondary's start. It's like there's a second spring on the secondary's and it let's you stop before you get beyond the primary's.

disclaimer:
This is just my opinion and I don't want to get into a debate with anyone and start name calling. If you want to reply with your opinion on another carb, please do. :D

cobalt327 07-15-2010 07:28 AM

How DARE you bring anything to this discussion except complete agreement!! NOT! lol

I have a 650 Holley spreadbore in FL, but I never had a chance to use it. All I can say w/complete certainty is: That has got to be the heaviest carburetor in existence! First time I lifted it, I thought it was nailed to the floor!!

Someone who is knowledgeable here uses or has used one, and IIRC had good things to say about them, as well. Might have been a mod, just can't recall for sure.

But in any event, it certainly would be an option- as long a 800 CFM was chosen, I think a 650 wouldn't be quite enough.

lmsport 07-15-2010 08:06 AM

I really like the Holley spreadbores for DD. I think Holley is making a few again, as the last time I wanted one, had to get it off ebay. The Q-Jet is a better carb for emissions and part throttle mixture quality, but only if they are properly tuned, which can take days of adjustments, even when starting with one of the new Edlebrock pieces.

sqzbox 07-15-2010 09:17 AM

Yeah Cobalt, agree on the cfm upgrade. I was thinking of 750-800 range.
If you have a good speed shop around (and there still is a few) I would go in and order something up for a 454 or 502 and go from there and try for some feedback from the counter man with experience as ordering stuff like that sometimes get's confusing on the net. :smash:
I've always been a Holley man, just my preference, because I understand them more and Their easy for a simple guy like me to adj. It amazed me to also find that all the sprint cup cars use them exclusively. Hammer down! :D

cobalt327 07-15-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sqzbox
Yeah Cobalt, agree on the cfm upgrade. I was thinking of 750-800 range.
If you have a good speed shop around (and there still is a few) I would go in and order something up for a 454 or 502 and go from there and try for some feedback from the counter man with experience as ordering stuff like that sometimes get's confusing on the net. :smash:
I've always been a Holley man, just my preference, because I understand them more and Their easy for a simple guy like me to adj. It amazed me to also find that all the sprint cup cars use them exclusively. Hammer down! :D

My nephew is good friends w/the young man that runs (ran?) the sole surviving speed shop in the Orlando area (to my knowledge, anyway- there may be other shops open now). His family operated from the same place since the early '60's at least, maybe longer. Was almost an icon.

They outlasted the Super Shops stores that opened then failed, along w/the gas crises, economic upheaval and everything else including one fugly slob pos thief that worked there. But whatever, they're history, or close to it. :(

The little town I live near has nada in the way of a speed shop, nor does the counties adjacent to me on any side. If it wasn't for mail order, I'd be SOL! And this sucks, because I'm like you- I want to hold the parts in my grubby hands before I lay down a chunk o' cash! lol

IIRC, the NASCAR rules call for the exact Holley carb that is allowed to be used. I'm thinking there's a heck of a sweetheart deal there!!

Hippie 07-15-2010 03:50 PM

NOS Edelbrock Q-Jets are on eBay all the time but they ain't cheap, even low hour used ones bring a premium.

lmsport 07-15-2010 04:02 PM

Check Braswell carbs for the NASCAR pieces. A current Truck carb is about $4500.