Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Q-Jet Confusion
Thread: Q-Jet Confusion
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

You need to know the fuel pressure, even a stock pump can put out more than many give it credit for, when there`s a fuel pressure issue it overcomes the idle since fuel is getting in from another source, anytime the idle mixture screws have no effect the first thing you should look into besides the float level is the fuel pressure. Q-jets don`t like anything over 5 psi, anything over 5 and they have all kinds of mysterious problems, I went through a fuel pressure issue for 6 months before I figured it out, I had stock pumps putting out 14 psi, I had one Q-jet blowing fuel from under the gasket on the front of the carb but it never leaked a drop out of the boosters or the top of the carb. Here`s a test you can do, with the car at idle, shine a light in the carbs throat and see if you see any fuel coming out anywhere, if you do there`s a fuel pressure issue. I traced my problem down to the gas tanks vapor line that I had blocked off, it never had given me any problems and it had been blocked off for years, when it decided to it gave me problems in spades.