Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Q-Jet Metering Rod Idea
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2003, 06:47 AM
Engine Builder Mentee

Wiki Edits: 0

I actually asked this same question about a year ago to one of the guys that I race with, and just as Jmark said, it can be done. The only problem is, that when you disrupt the balance between the primaries and secondaries, it's near impossible to get a smooth transition into your secondary circuit. There are 21 different hangers which basically control how the secondary metering rods sit, and then there are nearly 50 rods that control the rate of fuel itself. That equals up to over 1000 combinations, not to mention that you'll have to tune your air valves to open correctly in response to the huge amount of fuel. You'd be better off, in my opinion, to find a mid point as far as rods and hangers. If you have time, find a B, K or L, and a V hangar to give you the extremes and a midpoint, and then do the same with the rods you have. After tuning on my firebird, I was able to get about 15 mpg, and still turn out 400+ horsepower. Good luck and let us know when you do get everything tuned in.