Q jet VS Holley?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2003, 06:26 PM
Luv the smell of burnt RICE

Wiki Edits: 0

Q jet VS Holley??

Well after putting on my Q jet after taking off the holley 750 with secondarys.. i cant decide wut one to stay with.. the holley ran way better.. but the Q jet has better throttle responce and little more power.. also the milege isnt that big of a gap.. i'd rather have the holley that starts better when cold.. the Q jet i rebuilt.. and it still doesnt wana run when cold.. and has a little hesitation when the secondarys kick in.. so is it worth spendning more time trying to get this Q jet set up right.... or should i go back with my holley and just find tune it a bit more for some more power?? not sure wut one to keep..?? wut would u guys do?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2003, 06:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Well, you'll probably have 50 people reply with 25 voting for the Holley and 25 voting for the q-jet.

Q-jets are plentyful and cheap to buy used. They are easy to rebuild and jets and rods are available too if you thihk you need to make some changes. They came in the very common 750cfm and the hard to find 800cfm.

Personally, I've had many many Holleys and wasn't fond of any of them. BUT!! I was looking for milage and something that would go for 10 years without needing much tinkering or fixin.

I prefer the Q-jet myself, but thats just my perference. If you have secondary stumble, you can adjust the tension on the top secondairy butterflys. You can also check the choke pulloff for proper operation, as it also is the unloader for the secondaries. The choke on the Q-jet is also very easily adjustable too.
Old 09-14-2003, 06:42 PM
Vetter

Stick with the QJet. No question about it, a QJet can outperform a Holley any day. In fact, a QJet even gives FI a go for it's money.

You just need a choke adjustment for get it going in the cold. No big deal...

78SilverShark
Old 09-14-2003, 10:59 PM
Luv the smell of burnt RICE

ok ok.. im gona work a bit more with the Q jet before i think about taking it off.. if it takes to much time and money to get it tuned i'll swap.. if not won't worry about it.. i do like the feel of it when warmed up. thanx for the replys.. i'll be back for more help most likly!
Old 09-15-2003, 08:02 PM
Vetter

Definitely work with the QJet. And, hey, if you can't get her working, then send her on over my way.

78SilverShark
Old 09-15-2003, 08:36 PM

After trying literally 10 different carbs on my 383, I finally decided to give a Q-jet its turn. I picked up a 99.00 dollar remaned unit from Autozone, and bolted it on. I set the idle, and off I went. Frankly, I can't believe how lucky I got. This carb runs circles around the Edelbrocks and Holleys I tried. I am sure I could do more to dial it in, but I am going to leave it alone, since it runs so good. I bought the divorced choke kit from Edelbrock to go with my intake, and after a few minor adjustments (bending the rod) it starts right up when cold, and pulls off very nicely when it is warmed up. I haven't checked my gas mileage yet, but even it if were to go down, I am so much happier with the new found perfomance, that there is no way I would go back to the others. HTH.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:06 PM

Ya for street driving a q-jet is very hard to beat and like what silvershark said it is the closest thing to efi you can get in a carb. I am a big fan of q-jets and wouldn't dream up using anything else especially when the wrecking yards are full of them for dirt cheap and they can outperform most other carbs and get great fuel economy . If you big on the dollar side the edelbrock off road q-jet is spose to be fantastic every I know that has tryed one just loves it. I'm not bashing holley in any way as they have many advantages too but I think i the street the q-jet is king. any that my option
Old 09-15-2003, 11:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Does my heart good to see so many Q-jet fans here! LOL
Old 03-02-2007, 08:18 AM

What I Should Have Done

I bought an edelbrock and took off my Q. Big mistake I cant wait for this carb to take a dump so I can tell the wife I need a new carb
Old 03-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

I'm putting an Edelbrock on my new motor for my truck ONLY because my one good Q-jet core got damaged, as soon as I find another good core it's Q-Jet for me again. Spend the time and effort to make the Q-Jet work, you won't be sorry.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:53 AM

Bottom line...
Assuming both carbs are the correct size for your engine.
#1 For general performance and fuel efficiency a perfectly adjusted Q-jet will be the right choice.
#2 For power and higher performance, a perfectly adjusted Holley will be the right choice.
You mentioned the Holley running "way better" and the Q having better response. Holleys are considerably more adjustable than a q-jet (cant' wait for the response on that statement but its true) and most Holleys are "universal" and absolutely require being tuned to the application. Most if not all Q-jets are designed for one particular engine-trans-chassis combination. We are definitely comparing apples and oranges here.
If you have the patience and knowledge or have someone at your disposal who does, tune the Holley and get both response and power with average or better economy. Remember, most (about 90%) of Holleys out there are on the wrong engine and are not properly tuned giving a good number of people the wrong impression as far as response and economy. We all know they make excellent power.
Q-jets are one of the best factory carbs ever made (and i'm a Ford man!) But the right Holley when tuned will give everything you want and some things a factory carb simply can't.
Regardless of what carb you use, it must be properly chosen and tuned dead on to compare with any other.

Last edited by boss68; 03-02-2007 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:24 AM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Boss68: didn't ford used q-jets on ford 429's ? or 427, 428???
Augusto.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:33 AM

No, those are Motorcraft carbs. There's one out in the shop right now,a 1968 429 carb like you were saying.
They do have a similar look. They work very well for response with the "spread bore" and small primaries.
Thanks for the note!
427's had Autolite carbs. 429's-460's had Motorcaraft's.

Last edited by boss68; 03-02-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss68
No, those are Motorcraft carbs. There's one out in the shop right now,a 1968 429 carb like you were saying.
They do have a similar look. They work very well for response with the "spread bore" and small primaries.
Thanks for the note!
427's had Autolite carbs. 429's-460's had Motorcaraft's.
Ford spread bores manufactured under license from Rochester.

Edelbrock makes a good Q-jet, they own the design rights now.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:22 PM

Lets keep the BS out ok?
Ford has always made thier own Autolite and Motorcraft carbs.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.