Q jet won't idle! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2003, 08:03 PM
Luv the smell of burnt RICE

Wiki Edits: 0

Q jet won't idle!

ok this is strange.. i did a rebuild on this carb.. and put it on for winter.. i havent had this carb on since i did my cam swap... so was curios to how it was gona run.. well its weird cuz at idle it wants to die after sitting still for a bit.....out of gear.. and also i was thinkin i should try adjusting the air screws.. but wut kinda tool do u use for that?? then i was thinkin maybe its the new float?? getting to much fuel at idle.. flooding it.. so maybe i gota bend the float a little bit??? would do u guys think it could be? my holley idle"d awsome...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2003, 08:18 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

There are specific settings for your float to be set at. The setting came with your rebuild instructions, and how to measure it.
Some Quads have idle screws and some of them are sealed. If there are screws there adjust them for the highest vacuum.

Budget RVs
Old 11-12-2003, 08:27 PM
Engine Builder Mentee

Well, you make it sound like you have a new float for the carb, and unless it's the exact same type, shape and size, you'll have to wing it on float levels. If it is different, I guess I don't know why you'd have changed it. Either way you want to have your float adjusted so that you're not running out of fuel before you intend to remove your foot from the floor- if it dies midway down the track, you know it's too low. A good starting point is around 9/16" down though, if all else fails.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:12 PM
Superior Wheels Quality Tech

Last photo:

Grab some WD-40 and spray around the carb. If you notice a change in RPMs then you've got a vacuum leak. I remember when I had my Q-Jet rebuilt. Went to get a new set of gaskets and was given the wrong ones. The thing was hissin like a rattle snake. If no vacuum leaks then check the idle air/fuel mixture screw's.. And this may sound kinda dumb.. But I figure it never hurts to ask... Have you adjusted the Idle set screw?
Old 11-13-2003, 09:06 AM

Last photo:

You probably have the oblonghead screws, most partstores have a tool for them, Look down in the carb while idling, you shouldn't see any fuel in there, if you do, your dumping gas, poss float setting, with the top removed, the top of the float should be close to 1/4" down and parallel with the top of the body, if you didn't see any fuel ,adjust the mix screws, in till idle drops, out till idles rough, halfway back in!HTH
Old 11-13-2003, 06:21 PM
Luv the smell of burnt RICE

thanx for the replys.. i'll give it a shoot.. bye the way my idel screw is set at 1000 rpm right now.. just to keep it running.. especialy when cold! i'll search for the tool to adjust the air screws.. let ya guys no how it goes.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:44 PM

Last photo:

idle problem

I had a 1903 Q-jet and had similar problems. To rectify I did the following:

Modified mixture at the two screws on the bottom plate on the front of the carb. Use a vacuum gauge when doing this to ensure proper mixture. Adjust to best vacuum and idle, then back off idle set scre, do again, back off screw etc... until you get best idle and vacuum. To set set screws turn all the way closed then start with 1.5-2 turns open.

made sure all those stupid extra vacuum lines were capped good.

Adjusted choke settings. That was a big problem. Once I got it adjusted I was getting better idle. When you ahve your engine running at it's current idle take your finger and slowly open and close the primaries butterfly and listen for the idle to increase or decrease. If it increases it is your choke adjustment.

If you can get the idle to increase with choke adjustment then mod your idle screw adjustment as well.

Don't forget timing. I prefer to time with a vacuum gauge, timing lite and a tach all at the same time. It is kind of a paint to try to view all of them but it is your best timing.

Don't time with the vacuum advance attached to the dist. Make sure vacuum advance is capped on the carb as well.

Rick

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.