Hot Rod Forum banner

Qjet Unwarping tool???

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  302 Z28 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Says “Will ship by 09-09”. Almost 2 months? Punched in the item number for the: “For use with Quadrajet Jet Carburetor Repair Kit (Sold separately. Item # ZX266889). Got no return on the number, might be a partial p/n for a rebuild kit?

If the body is any further gone than what will clean up w/a solvent wetted piece of fine emery paper on a large, flat sheet of glass, I would call it junk anyway- but I've YET to find a body that wouldn't clean up that way, in the first place... ;)

I don't even check the tops- it goes where the body "tells" it. The throttle plate gasket is so thick, it'll compensate for dam near anything.

#6 ·
cobalt327 said:
If the body is any further gone than what will clean up w/a solvent wetted piece of fine emery paper on a large, flat sheet of glass, I would call it junk anyway- but I've YET to find a body that wouldn't clean up that way, in the first place... ;)
I've already fixed the top as you described - here is the "before" picture (yeah, I know, the mounting stud nuts were over tightened :spank: ):

This isn't the best picture to show how the body of my qjet is cupped, but both the front & rear dip down quite a bit. I thought I overtightened these (and I'm sure I did at some point), but the original carb looked very similar - and I didn't touch that one.

#8 ·
Big Mouse said:
This isn't the best picture to show how the body of my qjet is cupped, but both the front & rear dip down quite a bit. I thought I overtightened these (and I'm sure I did at some point), but the original carb looked very similar - and I didn't touch that one.
That's some serious out of plane! I can't imagine what besides a lot of heat along w/some vicious tightening would get one that far out. It could be a poor casting, not stress relieved possibly- but that's a WAG.

Other than to try to make the base gasket conform to the irregularity of the body of the carb by removing gasket material from the high areas, I don't know what you could do- there's no real way to work on removing the cupping on the throttle plate side of the body with the main wells, locating pins and etc. in the way.

In any event, that carb must be special to you, that you'd even be considering reviving it!

#9 ·
cobalt327 said:
That's some serious out of plane! I can't imagine what besides a lot of heat along w/some vicious tightening would get one that far out. It could be a poor casting, not stress relieved possibly- but that's a WAG.

Other than to try to make the base gasket conform to the irregularity of the body of the carb by removing gasket material from the high areas, I don't know what you could do- there's no real way to work on removing the cupping on the throttle plate side of the body with the main wells, locating pins and etc. in the way.

In any event, that carb must be special to you, that you'd even be considering reviving it!
I spent months and countless hours rebuilding this thing. I invested a heap of money in the carb getting the tune correct. The idle and idle transition circuit is about perfect for my cam (which was no small feat on an emissions era carb). At this point I would like to lean out the primary jets & run it.

So, I guess I'm just sticking with what I know. My new Holley 4150 is OK, but I miss the Qjet...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.