Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Qjets Ain't they great
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2002, 08:11 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Qjets Ain't they great

Got really fed up with my Qjet not running right and not getting those tree hugger caps of the idle screws. Took the carb off, again, and decided to grid the base of the carb and pop the caps off from behind. Worked like a charm. I pulled the needless and one was worn. I tried exchanging them with needles from another older carb but they have different threads. Much finer on the new carb. I shot some carb cleaner in the holes, cut slots for a screw driver in the back of the needles and adjusted them to 4 full turns. They were set to 2 1/2. Reinstalled and it ran great. Had a nice smooth idle although not as smooth as the older carb but has great power and runs great.

I also installed my pcv system which might have made it run a little rougher than without.

It was running so good that I decide to steam clean the inside since I had no idea how bad the carbon is inside. The guy I bought if from was a real liar about everything on the truck so when he said it was rebuilt with flat top pistons, I had no reason to believe him. I got the engine warmed up and slowly poured water down the carb. I used about a quart reved the engine as I poured. It ran a little rough afterward but after I took it out on the road it smoothed right out real nice. Got it back, let it cool and it started right up first time everytime.

I still think that when set up right a Qjet is hard to beat for a road car.

Thanks Dave for the info on the 3 1/2 turns I probably would have set it back to 2 1/2 or 3. I figured with the fine threads but shorter needles I was safe to go with 4. I will probably fine tune it later.