Quadrajet - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 05:39 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quadrajet

Getting ready to rebuild my Quadrajet. Its a SMI model that sat on my shelf now for quite a few years. I thought I had drained it good enough when I put it up but there must have been some left in it as now there's that white crap that's formed in the bottom of the bowl. I've had mechanics tell me in the past before I became Q'jet savvy that once that white stuff gets in there you may as well throw the carb away as it'll never run right again. Not too sure I believe that, as I checked all the passages and they're clear. How do I go about removing the white crap?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 06:59 AM
Psychomotors

You might try a little bit of vinegar-just don't leave it in very long. Its been several years since I ran into this problem also. I think I actually used Tidy Bowel toilet cleaner and the carb ran fine afterwards,lol.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:27 AM

Last photo:

I've used some stuff I got from the big orange store. It is used to remove rust from concrete and came in a gallon jug. Can't remember the exact name but is was som kinda phosphate name to it. Again don't leave it soak to long. It will remove the finish. It worked great for removing rust from carb pieces that I wanted replated. I also remember it works well in warmer temps
Old 01-03-2012, 09:04 AM

Last photo:

Man I should have thought of the tidy bowl Idea! Thanks guys.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Coca Cola has phosphoric acid in it and might work.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

mild acid or boil it...or both
Old 01-04-2012, 08:22 PM

Last journal entry: Ben's 1937 OHC-6
Last photo:

i used drain-o type products on my quadrajet and my dualjet. make sure after rinsing that you vigorously dry everything. air gun is my preferred method.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:31 PM

Last photo:

I got to digging in the bathroom to see what we had and I found a bottle of that stuff called "works" So I poured some in the bowl of the Q-jet and right away it started boiling, foam came out of all the passages which told me they were opened up nicely and then the smell hit me, that stuff stinks to high heaven and I thought this stuff must have caustic soda in it as the steam was rising off the foam which confirmed my suspicions. I let it sit in the bowl about 2 minutes, I knew how strong the stuff was if I let it sit too long it would eat the finish off as you guys said.
So I hit it with water and rinsed it out real good then took it to the shed and hit it with the air gun. Talk about absolutely spotless, the whole bowl area is spotlessly clean and theres no finish damage so I couldn't be happier. Now I know it'll act like it should after I install it. I should have thought of that trick years ago but now thanks to yall I learned a new trick of the trade. Thanks again guys.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:34 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Any before and after pics?
Old 01-07-2012, 07:01 AM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Dont try this at home,,,

Seems you have some nasty stuff that "works" DV,,, this stuff hates aluminum, better be careful dude

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...39431437374611
Old 01-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Ask me about Ethanol

Last journal entry: 65 GTO
Last photo:

I soak them in carb cleaner, then sometimes bead blast them to get anything stuck off. All of mine have had stuff left in them, from varnish to the white stuff from evaporation. I dont have any problem making them run good, and a couple were on boats that had water in the carbs.

If you have never rebuilt one, not just replacing gaskets, pick up a copy of Cliff Ruggles book. It has everything you need to know to rebuild one.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:33 PM
quadrajunk a name earned

Last photo:

I let mine soak in a heated vibratory jewelry cleaner. For cleaning solution I used some floor cleaner and diluted it with water. It did a good job cleaning. Ater removing the parts from the solution I sprayed every thing down with carburetor cleaner.

bt
Old 01-22-2012, 03:10 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10
Seems you have some nasty stuff that "works" DV,,, this stuff hates aluminum, better be careful dude

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...39431437374611
I was setting here laughing till I read your post LOL I was waiting for some one to mention hydrochloric acid. Why doesnt some one say contact a carb company and talk to a tech guy! Ive been doing carbs for over 40 years and never heard of this stuff (looking for toilet cleaners and coke) that white stuff is already acid and metal corrosion! your jet and other passages are corroding and are already damaged . Get the stuff for the job! If you put the carb up for storage next time drain it & put a few ounces of Mystery oil in the bowls, and work the accelerator pump to get the gas out of the pump passage till you see oil! When you go to put it on the car tip it up to empty it get some gas in the bowls & hit the accelerator pump till you see gas put it on the car and your ready to go. Call a carb re-builder and ask em what floor cleaner he uses!

Custom 10 I take my hat off to you:

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 01-22-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:21 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:

A little about the white corrosion in your carb! Its caused from the combination of material the carbs made from , chemical saturation (from gas and additives) when you stored it these dried & left a dry film, moisture from its surrounding air And setting for a long time! Especially where other metals make contact with the carbs materiel (like jets left screwed into their pockets etc)it causes a very very small electric charge and creates a chemical reaction which causes degradation of the materials and a mild acidic reaction. Like the acidic corrosion when you put a steal bolt in an aluminum panel or plate. this corrosion is happening in all the small holes & passages running through that carb.! Even if you might clean the carb the corrosion damage is already done in those passages & holes, throttle bore holes fuel pump passages Etc,Etc (think of a carb like an aluminum air plane and it was corroded on the outside area of the plane very badly, and the ground crew cleaned & polished what you could see but never checked the inner skin for damage that you cant see! If you found out would you fly in it

I tried not to get too technical when I wrote this
(Some one on here may explain it a lot better then I can I hope they do. to the unbelievers. I dont remember like I used to! and I type like a snail on an uphill grade so I hope some one reads it.

Jester
Old 01-22-2012, 10:32 PM

Last journal entry: fish carb
Last photo:

Wow!
What a thread,some of the "white stuff" is called aluminum oxide,just please dont mix it with sodium nitrate.
The onset of is as jester said caused by 2 dissimilar metals forming an electrical charge reffered to as electrolisis,the losing metal is the least "noble" metal of the two.
IMO I would dig a hole n bury this carb
The inside of it(passages) are loaded with this stuff as well,you may be able to soak the whole deal in carb cleaner for a couple of days n maybe do something with it,but then carb cleaner aint what it used to be
I should have put in the quote from jester,not trying to pose him but I agree with everything he said.
By the way if you guys r looking for phosphoric acid,West Marine sells a product called Ospho works pretty good for killing corrosion from steel.
Do not try Hydrocholic acid (he was just kidding)
Please guys dont tell people to mix chemicals to clean things if you dont know the reactions they can cause.
Some of the stuff can be lethal!
Dont believe me! read a can of brake cleaner n then see what phosgene gas can do to u,when exposed to flames brake cleaner can turn into this very noxeous gas.......Chemicals can and will ruin your day if u dont know how to use them............

Last edited by topwrench; 01-22-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.