Quadrajet - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2003, 07:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Quadrajet

I just had my carb rebuilt. It is a 1980 454 carb going on my mild 350. I can hear this sucking sound coming from the carb. If I close the front primary plate the sound gets quietter. What does this noise mean. Is this noise normal for quadrajets.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2003, 07:18 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Either a vacuum leak or a fitting not plugged. Use some WD 40 and spray around the carb, if you notice a difference that will be the place its leaking. Some use either but you have to be very careful.There is a similar posting like this 3 pages away.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:58 PM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

turn on the propane torch (don't light it) pass it over the top of the carb and listen to the idle change. pass it around all vaccume lines, if the idle goes like the test, you found your leak. mikey
Old 04-20-2003, 12:59 PM

Last photo:

turn on the propane torch (don't light it) pass it over the top of the carb and listen to the idle change. pass it around all vaccume lines, if the idle goes like the test, you found your leak. mikey
Old 04-20-2003, 01:01 PM

Last photo:

Old 04-20-2003, 06:54 PM

I took some carb cleaner and sprayed it all around the carb and the idle did not change at all. The sound is coming from inside the carb. Like I said before, when I close the front primary plate the sound goes away or is really quiet. What would cause this sound inside the carb?
Old 04-20-2003, 08:28 PM

I hate to say it but you could save yourself some headache here. If the performance is bad still and you're sure it's the carb replace it with a Holley or Carter. R-ster Q-jets are notoriously difficult to rebuild and tune. They were intentionally engineered that way to prevent people from changing the factory settings. Every carbed GM vehicle I've owned that had a Q-jet on it got changed quickly. If you have access to a second hand speed shop in your area, you can usually pick up a decent Holley for $100 or so. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:51 PM

Yes...Q-jets are the work of the devil..no match for even the most avid rodder, Dont bother learning how it works, throw it away, and get a carb that works "right out of the box"
Old 04-20-2003, 10:37 PM

Actually the performance from this carb is awesome. I had an edelbrock on my motor before and I had all sorts of problems. I switched back to the old quadrajet that was rebuilt by me and the driveability tech at my shop and it seemed to free up a lot of horsepower. It runs way better with the quadrajet on it. He also helped me tune it. I asked him about the noise and he said it was normal. I don't think it is normal. I don't know though, maybe it's just me. I'm not complaining about the performance, just the noise. It does sound like a huge vacuum leak, but I don't think it is. I don't know what the noise is. I guess I can deal with the noise since the car still runs like a dream. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:16 AM

Talking

The Quadrajet is one of the best carbs made. I love all you guys, that at the first opportunity, you replace them with Holley's or whatever you think is better. It just means more free Q'jets for me. Thank you.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:18 AM

Talking

The Quadrajet is one of the best carbs made. I love all you guys that, at the first opportunity, you replace them with Holley's or whatever you think is better. It just means more free Q'jets for me. Thank you.
Old 04-21-2003, 05:07 AM
Tire Fryer

Last photo:

Q-Jets are a great carb. You can't beat them for the street. You can get excellent fuel economy with the smaller primaries and awesome performance with the huge secondaries. I can't think of what your problem is but I can put you in touch with someone whoe might be able to answer your questions.

owner@thecarburetorshop.com
Old 04-21-2003, 02:23 PM

Sorry for the sarcasm up there, But Ive heard the "Just junk it and get a Holly/Edelbrock" thing way too many times. If it runs great and idles well, without hearing it firsthand, I would say you dont have a problem...I for one think they are a blast to rebuild, not hard at all. Plus since used ones are usually cheap, you can play around with different jets and metering rods without breakin the bank! Check out the KB, all kindsa good Q-jet info in there!
Old 04-23-2003, 11:34 PM

If it helps you any, my dad has an 83 C10 truck with a quadrajet. It does it at idle a little, but really does it when you put your foot about 1/4-1/2 way down. Shuts up when the secondaries come in. He has had no problem from it in 10 years, and hasn't had to rebuild the carb once since he got it. I'm not saying it's supposed to do it, though.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:53 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I myself perfer Q-jets, as already said, for the street they can`t be beat. but one thing you can do to test this sound, is grab the throttle linkage, and move it, if the noise stops or gets less, you found the problem. Q-jets are notorious for wearing out the primary throttle shafts, I`ve seen many that will make the noise you discribe and wiggle the linkage and it stops, if the carb has over 100,000 miles on it, you can bet it`s wore out, the solution is to have new bushings installed, or find another base plate that isn`t as worn, but, as the years went by the base plates changed in design, so try and get one that is close to yours as you can find. Good Luck.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.