Hot Rod Forum banner

quadrajet baseplate

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Shaker455 
#1 ·
Anybody have suggestions on how to remove the idle mixture screws on a quadrajet if they have both broken off inside the baseplate? steel screws in an aluminum plate. there doesn't seem to be an easy-out small enough to get in there. Not sure I like the idea of drilling them out. Also,, anybody know where I can get a replacement power piston? Or better yet, anybody want a restored quadrajet with both the idle screws broke off in the baseplate and no power piston? lol

#2 ·
There are left hand rotation drill bits available. When the drill bites into the needle valve, it'll spin the needle in the reverse direction, removing it like an easy out. Might work, but try to get some tubing or a bushing to keep the drill aligned.

#5 ·
Buddy of mine had this thing sitting outside for years. Nothing on it moved. I soaked it for a few weeks in marvel mystery oil mixed with xylene. Freed up the parts. The steel rusted stuff was soaked in Evaporust which worked awesome. I clear coated the carb and painted the throttle plates chevy orange for kicks and giggles. The idle mixture screws were just too stuck to even try to move. Pretty sure because of the dissimilar metals they're cold welded in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.