Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Quadrajet choke problems
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

First off,

Thanks for the responses.

Odds, when the choke is installed, I start it by giving the throttle one press, then turning the key. Simple as that. Without it, I pump two times and hold it partially open and start it. Then two foot it for a few minutes until it's warm enough to sustain itself.

Here is what I need to understand. As the spring warms, it "uncoils" more correct. See the photo. When it warms it follows the down arrow path, and when it cools, it contracts, or coils up (up arrow path), correct?

The way the choke is setup, it would have to coil up over time to open the choke. So if I am right, the warmer it gets, the more it's actually closing the choke, which is the complete opposite of how it should be moving, because if that coil expands (uncoils), the way its on the carb it would be closing the choke more. The carb lever opens the choke as it moves down, and closes the choke as it moves up. So looking at the spring as in the photo, the counter-clockwise motion would have to open the choke, and the clockwise motion would have to close it, which is inverse to how I think it operates. Am I wrong?