Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Quadrajet choke problems
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 04:22 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy_Freud
So i guess my assumption that the coil would expand with heat was indeed incorrect.
Well, in THIS case, yes you were mistaken. But that's not to say a bimetal coil cannot be made w/the metals reversed. In that configuration, it would indeed expand or uncoil when heat is applied.

The resistance of the choke heater is around 8.5 Ω, measured between the terminal and the metal backside of the choke assembly. If you measure it from the terminal to the battery negative post, it'll pick up about 1Ω. It should be </= 10-11 Ω, in any event. If it's higher but not infinite, check to see that there's good contact between the choke coil assembly and the choke housing on the carb- that is the only ground path unless you add one as I described above.

Be sure the 'peg' inside the choke housing is correctly indexing the hook on the end of the bimetal coil.

Also be sure the choke pulloff is working and adjusted. If it's bad or adjusted wrong, the choke won't open some at start up and the engine will be running way too rich. Not only will this cause the engine to run poorly until the choke warms up enough to open some, it can lead to accelerated cylinder and ring wear.