Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Quadrajet to Holley
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 08:54 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
are you sure your issues are all carb related and why? holley makes soread bore carbs BTW
I realize I could have other issues, but I'm playing a hunch. The car has sat for a while. That usually means the fuel varnished to some extent, and I'm sure we've all seen what that can do a million times. I had planned to rebuild the carb just for piece of mind when my friend reccomended I toss the Q-jet and put on a Holey 650 spread bore. So I just figured I'd run it by you gurus.

I did find one problem. I had guessed my secondaries might not be opening. So after some research here and other places, I found that there is a little latch on the Q-jet that prevents the secondaries from opening while the choke is on. On my carb, that little latch appears to have been installed improperly. It just hangs there and never moves out of the way when the choke turns off, so it was preventing my secondaries from opening. I wired it out of the way, and the car runs better. But I still feel like the upper flaps aren't opening. When I first started poking around, they were stuck slightly, like they hadn't moved in a while. So now I'm going to check for vacuum issues.

I'm learning as I go here.