Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Quadrajet to Holley
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 12:26 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
I have a mild Chevy 350 in a 28 Nash street rod. The carb on it is an OEM Carter built quadrajet. Performance is lacking. It runs ok, but I know it should run better. A trusted friend reccomended I scrap the quadrajet and put on a Holley 650 with mechanical secondaries. The car has sat for a while so I had planned to rebuild the carb anyhow, but if I'm better off with the Holley, then I'll go that direction. My question is, is it a straight swap? Will the Holley fit on the same manifold (it's and Edlebrock manifold)? Is it as simple as going to the auto parts store buying a carb and bring it home and slapping it on? (Then fine tuning I'm sure) if so, which Holley to I want they seem to offer a million.

It may seem like a silly question to a lot of you more knowledgeable folks. I've been a motorcycle mechanic my whole life and have some boat engine experience, I have the mechanical abilities and the tools, I just have very little experience with carbureted small block Chevy engines.
An aluminum factory Chevy Q-jet intake and the Q-jet you already have is the cheapest and IMO best way to go about it. If weight isn't a concern, use the factory cast iron unit. You can pick one up for >$20. Trade or sell the Vic Jr. to someone who needs it, or save it for another engine build.