Quadrajet to Holley - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 07:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Stick with the q-jet they have a lot less tuning issues , not knocking holley I like them also but if you have never tuned one it could be a horrible nightmare for you. The name of a good performance shop that deals with q-jets and holleys is the Carb shop they can take care of any problem with a q-jet and they are pretty reasonable on their prices.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 10:34 AM

I'm wondering about something. Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that a carb adapter is a big no-no. So I got to looking at this set-up. The intake is a Victor Jr., which appears to be a square bore intake, and the Q-Jet appears to be mounted to an adpter plate. So assuming I was going to replace the carb with something else, if I wanted to not use the adapter plate, I'd need a square bore carb, not a spread bore, is that correct?
Old 08-09-2012, 10:42 AM

whats the victor junior bolted to? use a square bore double pumper on a vic jr
Old 08-09-2012, 10:54 AM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
I'm wondering about something. Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that a carb adapter is a big no-no. So I got to looking at this set-up. The intake is a Victor Jr., which appears to be a square bore intake, and the Q-Jet appears to be mounted to an adpter plate. So assuming I was going to replace the carb with something else, if I wanted to not use the adapter plate, I'd need a square bore carb, not a spread bore, is that correct?
Check this out. Its not just a carb adapter, it is designed to move the q-jet further back to improve fuel distribution.
Edelbrock 2693 - Edelbrock Carburetor Adapters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

A lot of people say adapters are bad. I can see how necking down a spreadbore to a squarebore could cause problems when the secondaries open, but by the time you are opening the secondaries you are not worried about throttle response, etc. Primaries I think the impact would be minimal at best. I have been trying to find any dyno numbers on the subject and not been successful. Also since the adapters are open spacer plenums that would tend to mitigate any negative impacts on a dual plane intake.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

Just replacig the Q-jet to a holley will not improve the performance. The motor can run very strong with a Q-jet carb. What you are lacking is compression, gears for the rear end, a good exhaust system, and a high stall converter, and if you do not have those four items. The motor will not pull any power. No matter what carb you are using or manifold. They all have to work together to get results.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg1969 View Post
Just replacig the Q-jet to a holley will not improve the performance. The motor can run very strong with a Q-jet carb. What you are lacking is compression, gears for the rear end, a good exhaust system, and a high stall converter, and if you do not have those four items. The motor will not pull any power. No matter what carb you are using or manifold. They all have to work together to get results.
I'm not trying to make more power. Gears, exhaust, compression and stall converters are a separate topic. (As they apply to me.)

My goal for the carb isn't more power, if and when we start trying to wring more power out of this engine, that will be a different discussion. For right now, I just want it to run good in it's current configuration. I have zero doubt that the Q-Jet can be made to run terrific. But it would appear that the intake on the car now is made for a square bore carb, not the spread bore. And since I read that adapters were bad, I thought I'd run it by you guys. I'm just trying to make it run well for the rest of our short season here. Come winter time, we can, and will be discussing all manner of power increases.

So my question was, (I know it was answered) if I want to bolt a carb straight to my Edlebrock Victor Jr. intake with no adapter, do I want a spread bore carb or a square bore carb?
Old 08-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

Then run a 600 Vacuum secondary Holley #1850, or Edlebrock 600 CFM carb.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:59 PM

600 vacuum on a vic jr?
Old 08-09-2012, 02:55 PM

Last photo:

To answer your question....a square bore and if you can find or borrow one until winter a 700 cfm #3310 Holley.....but there are many other Holleys to choose from, no double pumpers if you're not racing it.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:05 PM

or,no vic jrs if you are not racing,,,
Old 08-09-2012, 10:20 PM

Just out of curiosity, why a vacuum secondary over a mechanical one? Electric choke or manual?
Old 08-09-2012, 11:45 PM

Last photo:

A vac. sec. carb is just much more gas mileage friendly, You can change the spring rate in the housing to either quicken or slow down the opening of the secondary's. A mechanical secondary carb uses non-adjustable secondary linkage and it's gas mileage is in direct correlation to your right foot.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:12 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

If its a street only viehicle id just go with a 1405 edelbrock. They are GREAT on the street, low cost, and dirt simple to tune.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:03 AM

It is only a street vehicle. And always will be. The only type of racing I'm interested in take place on 2 wheels, and it's not drag racing. ;-)

That said, it will always be a street vehicle. Right now, it's a matter of straightening out drivability issues more than peak power. Come winter time, I could see me making some serious mods in the pursuit of power, maybe even a whole new engine and tranny, but still street power. I don't see many 1928 Nash's on the race tracks!

Thanks for all the input gents!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:35 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
It is only a street vehicle. And always will be. The only type of racing I'm interested in take place on 2 wheels, and it's not drag racing. ;-)

That said, it will always be a street vehicle. Right now, it's a matter of straightening out drivability issues more than peak power. Come winter time, I could see me making some serious mods in the pursuit of power, maybe even a whole new engine and tranny, but still street power. I don't see many 1928 Nash's on the race tracks!

Thanks for all the input gents!
Edelbrocks are the best street carb I have seen for a basic 350.

Quadrajets are the best carb if you have too much time on your hands and want to spend it trying to tune a carb. They can work well, but it just seems like a lot of needless effort to me.

They're are also a lot of great holley based carbs out there but they can get pricey.

I've heard good things about the summit carbs but never used one myself.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.