Quadrajet to Holley - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 12:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

what stall converter would you recommend for a 71 chevelle th350 with a crate 350/350 but used as a daily driver?
thanks
mark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 01:03 PM

Will the 600 edelbrock work well on a torker intake?
thanks
mark
Old 08-10-2012, 01:09 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71malibu View Post
thanks
mark
Yea, it'll work fine but that's not the greatest intake. If you can id run an open spacer if you run it, a blended spacer would work well too. A lot of people use it because of hood clearance but its design is a little too short.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

You'll love the 600 edelbrock. I have one on my 350 with a holley high rise contender manifold and i love it. Lightning fast throttle response too. And decent mpg. Perfect street carb. I'm not the biggest fan of the torquer either. Go for the performer rpm.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:26 AM

Last photo:

Intake for Spread Bore

Check out this Edelbrock intake. It will be perfect for a street engine and your Quadrajet carburetor. CHEVROLET 5.7L/350 Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake Manifolds - 4-barrel spread bore Carburetor Mounting - Natural Intake Finish - SummitRacing.com. The Victor Jr. intake has a basic operating range of 3500-7500 rpm where as the Performer RPM intake has a 1500-6500 basic operating range. The Q-jet will bolt directly to the intake. Check out this Summit Carburetor also. Summit Racing SUM-210216 - Summit Racing® Remanufactured Quadrajet Carburetors - Overview - SummitRacing.com or Holley replacement Holley 0-80555C - Holley Model 4175 Carburetors - Overview - SummitRacing.com.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Google "Tunnel Ram 406"

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71malibu View Post
thanks
mark
I had a torker intake and first thing I notice I had a sluggish low end response. The reason was you're dealing is the air flow in the carburetor.
With a dual plain intake the each cylinder pulling air/fuel threw one barrel where a single plain intake it pull air/fuel threw two barrel cutting the flow in half, making the engine less responsive at low end of the RPM. Dual plain is a better manifold to use for the street. Single plain are great for racing because you get more air flow at WOT. Hope this helps.

Last edited by lg1969; 08-11-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:49 PM

Last photo:

If time and patience is on your side, I agree with keep the Q-Jet vote. With a knowledgeable builder these carbs will deliver good mileage, power, and reliability and I speak from personal experience.

Bought a basket-case 1 ton GMC truck a few years back and it not only had the WRONG Q-jet but emissions gadgets were missing and no way would it pass CA smog check, hence, no registration. So I did some hunting, scored a correct year '86 Q-jet core but, I was getting quotes like $450 PLUS to rebuild w/90 days warranty. Seemed pretty outlandish, cost-wise, and a pretty scant warranty-wise. Was thinking about going Holly/Edelbrock at that point when someone at the speed shop recommended a local So-Cal builder, SMI and I gave them a call. In the end, Sean Murphy Induction rebuilt my carb to specs for like $265 plus tax and I couldn't have been more happy and pleased! This truck passed smog check with way low numbers and got it's best 14mpg with plenty of power to spare for towing, whatever. Their followup customer service was positively the best I've encountered in the auto repair business. When you call there with a problem, you talk to Sean himself and I cannot say enough for their polite and helpful patience. He's been in write-ups in dozens of auto journals over the years and I can attest, he is one of the best in the industry--- go there--- you won't regret it!
Old 08-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Why would you spend $265 to rebuild it? You can do it yourself if you're intent on keeping the q jet.
Or you can do what i did and buy the edelbrock reman carb from jegs or summit. $200 shipped when i bought mine and i couldnt be happier.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373 View Post
Why would you spend $265 to rebuild it? You can do it yourself if you're intent on keeping the q jet.
Or you can do what i did and buy the edelbrock reman carb from jegs or summit. $200 shipped when i bought mine and i couldnt be happier.
There are cheaper option of course but my carb rebuilding talents do not lend themselves to making a vehicle smog legal in old Cali. So I suggest that if you want the best rebuild go to SMI. If you go the Edlebrock/Holly route you STILL have to tune the thing to your particular vehicle, while SMI does all that for you.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:42 PM

Last photo:

If you have a mild 350 with a Victor Jr. and an adapter-mounted qjet on it I'm already scratching my head. Did somebody think the Victor would look better? Guess I'd ask what you mean by 'mild 350'. If you have the right manifold you have the wrong carb. If you have the right carb (or a truly mild motor) you have the wrong manifold. Any info on cam/heads etc?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:57 AM

Last photo:

Quadra Jet to Holley

Wasn't Quadra Jet carbs built by Rochester instead of Carter?:
Old 08-15-2012, 11:04 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bubba View Post
Yes, it was the GM 4bbl starting in around 1968 or so, replacing the old 4gc. But since then everybody from Weber to who-knows-who has been making clones, because a lot of people liked the design. The small primaries make for great off-idle response, and the huge secondaries are at least tunable to minimize the instant-lean condition (bog) you get if they flop open too fast.

Carter did make the Thermo-quad, which is a spreadbore and has mechanical secondaries with an extra upper set of valves that open under vacuum demand, like a qjet (and Edelbrocks, which are modified Carter AFBs). On vacuum-operated Holleys, however, the vacuum opens the actual secondary butterflies.

Last edited by Leoman; 08-15-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:21 AM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bubba View Post
Rochester designed and made them. During the muscle car craze they were unable to keep up with production demands and thus GM contracted Carter to make them for a few years. Those carbs say Rochester and say manufactured by Carter. I believe the casting numbers are a different sequence too.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:24 PM
1929 Chopped Tudor

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: 1927 roadster
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Buy an Edelbrock, take it out the box and drive down the road. I have had 3 new Holley carbs in 5 years on my '29 and I bought a Edelbrock for my '27 it ran so good I switched it with the '29 now the '27 runs poor. i used Holley back in the 60's. Loved them then, even had a three barrel on a GTO, not now. Oh yea, page 19 of October's Hot Rod magazine has a picture of my car!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:25 PM

Last photo:

Quadrajet to Holley

Thanks for the education. I will file that away in the memory bank for future use.
Bubba

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.