Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Quadrajet Idle Problems
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 08:51 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevyLWB
UPDATE: It now idles fine. it was the fast idle cam you guys were right i just had to get my finger under there to release it. now when i took it for a test drive. if i give it any amount of gas it bogs out and almost dies. should i adjust my APT screw? the reason i have this on my 305 is just to test it out to make sure everything works. it will eventually be going on a built 355 sbc making around 400 hp. it has 71 jets in it right now. any help is aprecciated.
You can do Ruggles' "tip in" method for setting the APT. If you set it right for the 305 you'll need to reset it for the built 350, most likely.

Also, with the engine off check the accelerator pump shot top be sure you get two strong streams from the shooters as soon as the throttle is opened.

Be sure the choke isn't closing on you.

Be sure the secondary air valve isn't set too loose or it'll open too early and will bog.

Check the timing to see that you have enough initial. Even a stock 305 can stand 12. Hook the vacuum advance to manifold vacuum if it's not already. You'll have to lower the idle speed using the curb idle screw. Readjust the idle mixture screws and road test it safely.