Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Quadrajet Question
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

This carb came off a 1979 chevy truck with a stock 350. However the throttle body came off a sean murphy carb. The throttle bodies between the two were identical except the SM body had the easily adjustable air mix screws while the factory body does not. There is no choke or fast idle assembly. I always remove them as down here where I live it don't get cold enough to need a choke. I did plug the vacuum coming off the side of the carb where the choke housing was. On the truck the carb was on originally the former owner told me when he drove it home it ran okay with the only issue being old gas.
When I got the carb from him it was still on the truck and hadn't been removed. He parked the truck when he found the frame was rotten.
When I disassembled it I was surprised at how good the condition was. It was clean with only a little fuel residue in the bottom which washed out with carb cleaner. How do I go about changing the idle orifices? Also the original throttle body wasn't worn out, it has very little play in the shafts I didn't use it only because of the difference in adjustable idle mixture screws. Thanks for the help.