Quadrajet Question(s) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2004, 06:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quadrajet Question(s)

Howdy, im new here and came accross this forum while Google-ing for help with my quadrajet. I looked through your forums via search, but couldn't find much regarding this topic. I have a Quad on a 1968 Buick 350, and it was in much need of rebuilding. Once i made it to the throttle body, i decided i would try and take off the flaps on the primary and secondary bores so i could remove the rods and clean the bugger out good. Of course this was my first time rebuilding any carb, so i was kinda nosing my way around where it didn't belong and ended up snapping the heads off of a couple of the screws (don't ask why I didn;t stop after number 1, cause i don't know). Anyway I managed to twist out the rest(broken off part) of the screws by heating the whole throttle body up by setting it on my wood stove. I afterwards saw that the screws were split on the ends, probably to keep them from falling into the intake and blowing a piston. My questions are 1) What size/thread are the screws? 2) For replacing them could I use a thread lock or do i have to split the ends myself? 3) If the screws are difficult to find, should i tap them out to 4-40's and if so # 2 again for this?

Oh yes, and while im at it i've heard from allot of r/c plane users that metal parts can be cleaned by letting them soak in antifreeze in a crock pot while heating it up, and would there be any problem with doing this to non-plastic carb parts?

Any help is appreciated, I'm really learning while I'm going here.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2004, 06:46 PM

Last photo:

carb

man you just opened up a can of worms any how did you melt the Teflon off the throttle shafts if not you can use them again. i would search the web and get one o the q jet suppliers to see if they can send you screws. you have to make sure the blades are centered when you reinstall them or other wise the will stick on you and maybe in the open position.

mike
Old 02-08-2004, 06:47 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Don't know the thread size of those screws.....

You may be able to order these screws from GM dealer.

I think you would be further ahead to find another carb and either use the body from it or take the screws out. Grind the split part off 1st and used Locktite on them.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the quick reply- to that end no i did not melt the teflon, all the parts are fine except i jsut need the screws to reassemble. Good infoa bout the centering as well. It would probably be just as cheap to pick up an old carb for 5 bucks at the junk yard as to buy new screws. And grinding the split out... good idea. Any aprticular lock-tite i should use? I have some stuff used for feul lines lying around that claims to hold up to rapid temperature change and vibration, and it's gas proof, can I use that?
Old 02-08-2004, 06:58 PM

Last photo:

like you said i would be easer to pick up a used carb but if you lock tight the screws in use the green stuff they will never come out again.

mike
Old 02-08-2004, 06:59 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Any good threadlocker should work.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.