Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Quadrajet seems rich on idle??
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 02:16 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quadrajet seems rich on idle??

I have an 86 GMC 1/2 ton pickup with a Quadrajet that came off an early 80's cadillac according to the numbers, the engine is a pretty fresh rebuilt 305 with a Comp XE 274 knockoff, long-tube headers and dual 2.5" exhaust with a Pypes X-change kit and flowmaster 10 series, my problem is that since I've had the truck, only about a year now and before the stuff above was added, it had an issue with smoking at idle, it smells like straight gas and wasn't too bad at first but in the last week it's gotten pretty rough, it runs great though, no bog, likes the cam, good idle, just the smoke, would a simple rebuild fix this? Im assuming that's it because some gaskets look like they could be leaking. I know, I can do some engine work, I outta be able to figure this out but, this is my first carb'ed engine and I know the reputation of the quadrajet. Sorry for the newb stuff. Thanks for any help. Just wanted to know if it'd be as easy as I'm thinking.

Last edited by 94grand5.2; 09-10-2011 at 02:25 AM.