Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Quadrajet Tuning
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 11:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quadrajet Tuning

A buddy of mine gave me a Quadrajet that was professional rebuilt, I figure I might as well put it on and see how it works since itís probably way better then the Quad that I have on it right now which is leaking from the base plate and is not responsive. Today I put the New Quad on and it fired up right away but I need help with tuning it, I spent all day messing around, I put some timing Tape on and my timing was way off, I timed her and set her at 12* Initial and set the mixture screws to about 4 turns but as soon as revved her up it would backfire and I got a flame coming out of the carb, so I backed off one turn and then took her out for a drive, when I tried to step on it there was no power so I increased my timing to 16* initial and 35* total, I didnít have enough time to take her out for a test drive again, but she was very hot and when I went to shut her off it was running on for a bout 1 minute and then would backfire, At idle I'm running 950 RPM and in gear it drops down to 500 RPM and wants to stall, I tried hooking up the vacuum advanced but the RPM skyrocket from 950 RPM to 2000 RPM, the Vacuum advanced was never hooked up since Iíve bought the car it has always been plugged. I hooked up a Vacuum Gauge and Iím getting a reading of 8, the engine has been rebuilt before i got the car and has pretty radical cam in it.

All the help will be appreciated

Here's a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfKx9YEFurw