Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Quadrajet tuning '67-'69 Firebird Sprint
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 04:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
You are quite welcome. One other attribute of the later style Q-jet casting is that the adjustable part throttle (APT) adjustment is easier to access, located under an aluminum plug in the airhorn. The earlier style carb use an adjustment screw in the baseplate and this often is seized up.

More on this here. BTW, try to avoid 1975 and early '76 carbs because they are likely to have the aneroid or spool in them, and this complicates tuning.
Thanks for all this information, Cobalt! Man, I am overwhelmed and gloating! I am holding my search to the model numbers you have provided and find no reason to deviate from your sound advice.

A few searches for suitable carb year/models have proven successful and I see there is plenty of donor carbs/models to choose from. One concern I had (too many to list) was with the larger, dual capacity accelerator pump models. The links (Crankshaft Coalition) you have provided have laid these concerns to rest, however. Thinking, at first, that the plastic connector (blue or gray in color) betrayed the identity of the CCC type carbs; which I have since learned is not necessarily the case. This is quite encouraging, I might add. BTW, am I getting this right, that there is no need to connect anything to this connector atop the float chamber and it will default to the single shot mode with no other ill effects/issues?

The links you have provided have a bounty of information within them. I was up until the wee hours last night doing some 'light' reading. Thanks again for sending them along.

BTW, the transmission on the Mercedes 280C is a 4 speed automatic, but does not require a linkage (cable) to the carburetor. I'm not entirely sure how it all works and I will definitely look into this further... reminder to myself.

Cheers,
Norman C