Quality of Bondo - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2006, 11:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quality of Bondo

Everybody says use Evercoat. Is Bondo brand no good, medium good or OK to use? Most people use the word Bondo like Kleenex. We should say Filler and Facial tissue, but most of us don't. Since Walmart sells Bondo brand at low prices, I was to tempted. Why not Bondo? have they not improved in technology? I am wondering if some products get a good name because it is cool to say you use it. Have the experts on here tried Bondo in the last five years? It sands nicely, it looks like it is good to go, but of course I don't no what it does in the long term. I am sixty so I don't care past 10 years. I won't even know I own a Hot Rod by then. Thanks. I know many times in the past I have fooled myself into thinking the expensive thing was better, but really many, many times it's just to be able to say I use Blue Coral or Royal Purple or Slick 50........

Advertisement

Last edited by bartamos; 10-23-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2006, 06:00 AM

Last photo:

Regular old Bondo brand filler will still work but there's other products out there that do work better, spread better, sand better, less pinholes, etc.
The choice is always yours but the people that are telling you to use Evercoat's premium products are definately right. If you're doing enough work to use up a gallon of filler the cost savings in abrasives alone will make up for the difference in price and the time savings will be plenty. I use Rage Extreme for the majority of my work.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:18 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,143 Times in 1,011 Posts
I don't know about how good it is being I see no reason to experiment. But I have to wonder about the "low prices" for Bondo. Bondo is a "retail" product, I don't think I have ever seen it in a "real" autobody supply store. It may be, I just don't think I have ever seen it. I have seen Bondo (I had a bunch that I "pulled" out of a store on a change over) in NAPA stores when I was a paint rep and they were always VERY high priced. Like the retail packs of sandpaper, I would have to assume they are priced for the home hobbiest who don't know where to buy "real" products at a much better price. They are usually packaged in smaller containers for the home hobbiest who only needs a little. He doesn't realize that the little bit of junk sandpaper he is buying is costing him as much as a large sleeve of quality paper at the autobody supply store.

I am NOT saying you are clueless and falling for all this stuff I am just talking about the whole "retail" business in general.

All I know is plastic filler (that is what I usually call it) is not usually used in such a high quanity in comparison with other products used in a home restoration that a guy should even worry about it.

I mean, lets say one uses two gallons of filler on their car. That is quite a bit, but maybe the thing is ruff, lets say most will end up on the floor because the guy is a newbe and applys too much then sands off too much then applys too much then sands off too much (this is the most common mistake using plastic filler). Ok, lets say he needs four gallons. The Evercoat RAGE is what, about $25 a gallon? So he spends $100 bucks on the RAGE. OR, the Bondo at Wallyworld, how much cheaper could it be? Lets say it's $15. So he could save forty bucks and get the same amount for $60.

Forty dollars on a restoration of a car is NOTHING. He will spend that much a ONE small part, on the lacquer thinner to clean his gun, on mixing cups, on seam sealer, etc. It really doesn't "add up" to me. Use the Evercoat and KNOW that it is used by a HUGE percentage of restoration shops, production shops, etc across the country.

Brian
Old 10-23-2006, 08:44 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

The advantage to buying Bondo brand filler is that it comes with that spiffy plastic tub on the top of the can that has many uses around the shop. I use mine for holding small parts, mixing resins and fillers, cereal bowl, and when covered with tinfoil, it keeps the alien mind probe rays out of my head while looking more stylish than the traditional pyramid hat. (to me it looks like a chopped fez)

Just thought I'd point out something positive about bondo.

I do like rage better.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 10-23-2006, 03:21 PM

Last photo:

I've used bondo brand a few times and really didn't see any big problems with it, and it seems to last just fine. But it is not the best spreading and easy to sand. Its convient for me to get cause I can just go around the corner and pick bondo brand up if I need it. You never know how long its been sitting on the shelf at walmart either. I thought bondo was cheap, but went and got evercoat lightweight filler at the paint supplier and looked at the cost, it came to maybe .50 cents more then the chain store was selling bondo for. It applys nicer and sands nicer. You have to figure the amount of sandpaper and the extra labor involved in the cost too, so if It isn't is nice to work and you use more sandpaper, your not really saving money. Still will take bondo over 3m filler. A supplier had it for something like $10 so I picked it up and used it on the car I was working on at the time. I didn't care for how it was to work with.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:45 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Actully. Bondo is $13 per gallon at Walmart. I used Bondo on my '51 Chevy, but I don't like the way it works. I'v often wondered what the Napa brand products are like, but I don't have anything I need plastic filler for right now. my '67 Falcon will need some. I do know that Bondo makes what they call " Gold " and it is twice the price, don't know how it works, at being the same price as professional products, I'll buy the pro products first.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:52 PM

Last photo:

Martinsr has a good point if Evercoat is that cheap. I thought it was more, didn't know it was 25/gal. Thats not expensive. Since all there was in the 50's/60's was Bondo and lead, I thought Bondo, being the Grandfather, would keep up. Their web site say's "used in over 60,000 shops". How many Earl Scheibs' are there? Just kidding, anyway I used the glass fiber filled first then the Gold (all Bondo) Do you think it will be ok to use the Evercoat glaze product over Bondo? thanks. In the future I will use "better" products. because I do think a person should listen to experience. you will be further along. I have done all the panel patching/welding/hemmering/SPI epoxy primering and sanding according to you all on here and would never have gotten good newbe type results without you all. Bondo is my first variance from HotRodders' and I am ashamed. But!!!!!!!!! I won't do it again. I think it was how far away the evercoat place was. I see that Walmart, Checker, AutoZone and those kind of places have Bondo, that's where they are marketing, as you said to the "goofball home hobby nutball cheap DIY guy" (me).
Old 10-23-2006, 10:32 PM

Last photo:

Sometimes the "premium" products are just worth it, period.

Matt, the Napa fillers ARE Evercoat with NAPA label on the can!

Brian
Old 10-23-2006, 10:46 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Sometimes the "premium" products are just worth it, period.

Matt, the Napa fillers ARE Evercoat with NAPA label on the can!

Brian
If thats true, then I can do some price comparisons at least. There is only one place in three counties to buy name brand body working supplies. The only problem with that is I am not a professional and they are salesmen. Nothing wrong with salesmen, but......(thankfully forums like this exist )

Anything else of theirs thats re-labeled?

I am a long way from a body man. No training whatsoever. I used "Bondo" brand when I was young and hated it. I kept using it until someone told me there were better products out there (embarressed smilie here). I then switched to evercoat. I like everything I have used from them so far.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:46 PM

Last photo:

Can I use the Evercoat Glaze product over Bondo brand? I don't see a two part Bondo brand glaze in the stores.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:37 PM

Last photo:

Sure you can Bartamos, sorry I didn't answer that before. Do use a 2K "glaze" like Metal Glaze or Glaze coat.

Brian, every single thing at NAPA is a relabel. Martin Senour paint is Sherwin Williams, NAPA battery is Exide, NAPA shock is Monroe, NAPA oil is Valvalene, they are all big name brands with a different "excusive" NAPA label on it.

Brian
Old 10-23-2006, 11:51 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR

Brian, every single thing at NAPA is a relabel. Martin Senour paint is Sherwin Williams, NAPA battery is Exide, NAPA shock is Monroe, NAPA oil is Valvalene, they are all big name brands with a different "excusive" NAPA label on it.

Brian
Brian (too many Brian's! ): I know their products are good and I knew some of the "brands" that were re-labeled. I get a lot of parts for my 56 there. I didn't know about the few body shop supplies that they carry here locally though. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:02 AM

Last photo:

If your NAPA store sells body supplies there are a bunch of good things. The prices are not the best, the service is most likely not the best either. But some NAPA stores are pretty darn good. Remember, before there were "paint stores" the parts store IS where you got your autobody supplies. So in some areas you can still count on them.

The polyester primers they sell are Evercoat and PCL (PCL being in the Cross/FIRE line). The sand paper is VERY good stuff and is Carborundum.

If you are after a certain thing that they don't stock and don't know anything about let me know and I may have the part number for you. They can get stuff out of the DC usually in one day or less.

Brian
Old 10-24-2006, 12:13 AM
Lost in the 50s!

Last photo:

That is good to know. With only one place to buy most things in the next 3 counties....well the prices are sky high.

Every body shop around buys from this one place. Both in AR and MO. Even the tech school 2 counties over does (I work there part time).

I was seriously thinking about ordering stuff online. Even with shipping the prices are better.

I would bet that the local NAPA is not as bad as this place as far as prices. I would much rather support a local business where I can talk to someone.

When my health starts to stabilize more, I may take you up on that offer.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:18 PM

Last photo:

I go to carquest that also handles paint, and finding out they have better prices on a lot of things then the paint supplier in town does. The carquest here carries most body supplies, evercoat fillers, quite a few different lines, ppg, rm, ect, and have everything from panel adhesives to fine line tape. If you have a better equipted carquest, they may have quite a bit of fillers to choose from. At least the local here does, and the prices ain't any more expensive then the supplier that handles paint only. Napa on the other hand here, things seem to run a bit higher, specially sandpaper.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.