Hot Rod Forum banner

Quality of safety gear?

877 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Irelands child 
#1 ·
Christmas morning! I am already out in the shop with my new long nose electric die grinder :D I grab my face shield and immediately start grumbling about it being so scratched and fogged over that I can't see anything. You guys have probably all seen the same thing it does not seem to matter how much you pay for the dang thing it will scratch so easily that no matter how gently you wipe it off it will still be ruined in short order. Then I remmembered some stiff clear plastic that was on a box that some kind of game came in and I thought even that would be better than this scratched up face shield. Guess what? That flexiable plastic window that made up the front of that game box is 10 times as tough as what came on my $39.95 face shield! While cleaning off some tape residue before making an eye sheild (I know :spank: but it was better than what I had) I discovered that this stuff was extremely scratch resistant and makes me wonder just why the "safety" shield is so soft and easy to ruin. I tried cutting both the plastic and the shield with a knife, smacked both with a hammer and tried to poke a hole through them with a screwdriverand the plastic seemed as tough, or more so, than the shield :confused: So why can't the safety gear be more scratch resistant? I am not recommending anyone toss their face sheild for a piece of unproven plastic but it ticks me off that something like that sheild is so cheaply made.

Well back to my grinder.

See less See more
#2 ·
I must have 10 pair of goggles - almost all are the chem resistant type and the scratches go from just about able to see thru them to new. I've wondered why I can't buy good scratch resistant ones either. These are 3 for a couple of bucks HF to Willson $5.00 each - doesn't make a bit of difference. Though I seldom use a face shield because I don't think it gives me enough eye protection. do have one, but it too is mega scratched. A note on this and the reason that I wear chemical protection goggles is dated to when I worked as an large motor assembler during a long labor dispute at GE. I wore contacts, had safety glasses, the non-chem goggles and a face shield. I was grinding a freshly machined rotor and a couple of chips went over the top of the face shield, thru one of the goggle air holes and were stopped at the edge of my contact. Unless you have had a couple of pieces of steel literally drilled out of you iris, you don't know pain :pain: - so for me, a good reason for chem style goggles.

If you ever do come up with good scratch resistant goggles - please post the brand.

I gave my wife an electronic gadget for Xmas - it had a double impervious plastic wrap I thought I would need an industrial shear to penetrate.

Merry Christmas :D ,
Dave

#4 ·
I just think it is rotten that they make those things so easy to scratch and the fact that an electronic game package is more scratch resistant than a pair of safety goggles is ridiculous. But when you think about it if the package got scratched up it would not sell as easily and if the goggles DID'NT scratch they would not sell as many. It all comes down to profit I guess :rolleyes:

#5 ·
I use a pair of rectangle o/a welding goggles, without the shaded glass. I wear glasses so I need the extra room. I go to HD or Lowe's and ask for the scraps of Lexen plastic left over from jobs people have done on their storm door or windows. They give it for free.

I cut the size needed to fit the goggles. Lexan is very durable, does not shatter, and does not scratch easy.

The best thing to clean any plastic is to swoosh them in soap and water, when possible. Then dry them with a towel or t shirt. NO paper products. At times this is a PITA. ...russ

#7 ·
Irelands child said:
I must have 10 pair of goggles - almost all are the chem resistant type and the scratches go from just about able to see thru them to new. I've wondered why I can't buy good scratch resistant ones either. These are 3 for a couple of bucks HF to Willson $5.00 each - doesn't make a bit of difference. Though I seldom use a face shield because I don't think it gives me enough eye protection. do have one, but it too is mega scratched. A note on this and the reason that I wear chemical protection goggles is dated to when I worked as an large motor assembler during a long labor dispute at GE. I wore contacts, had safety glasses, the non-chem goggles and a face shield. I was grinding a freshly machined rotor and a couple of chips went over the top of the face shield, thru one of the goggle air holes and were stopped at the edge of my contact. Unless you have had a couple of pieces of steel literally drilled out of you iris, you don't know pain :pain: - so for me, a good reason for chem style goggles.

If you ever do come up with good scratch resistant goggles - please post the brand.

I gave my wife an electronic gadget for Xmas - it had a double impervious plastic wrap I thought I would need an industrial shear to penetrate.

Merry Christmas :D ,
Dave
Most guys would not admit that. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.