Quality vs. Price - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 04:30 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quality vs. Price

It seems today more than ever hot rodders are doing away with quality and replacing it with low cost China made junk. Just wondering, is this because of the economy or because of the growing number of companies out there who provide the junk? Inquiring minds want to know...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Not sure, but i still try to go the quality route myself, i don't mind paying for something that's going to last , you know what they say "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR " JMO I will take quality anytime over cheap, i know sometimes that get's hard but i still try or i will wait till i can or have the funds to buy the good part. IMHO

Cole
Old 05-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

For me it has always been about what you get for your money. If I can get chinese parts with 90% the quality at half the price, that's a no-brainer.

I have no problem supporting a communist country taking place in what is purely a capitalist venture. Showing them that capitalism works while saving money is fine by me.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:09 PM

Last journal entry: First Entry 82' Camaro Z28 Project
Last photo:

For me it's having 3 kids, and having to support them. I'll buy quality when I can though I'm usually hawking the ebay lists and craigslist postings for affordable quality deals. It's worth the effort to me.

I think a lot of the problem is not many people know how to define quality vs. cheap and verse that against expense. I see it during my job all the time.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
For me it has always been about what you get for your money. If I can get chinese parts with 90% the quality at half the price, that's a no-brainer.

I have no problem supporting a communist country taking place in what is purely a capitalist venture. Showing them that capitalism works while saving money is fine by me.
Give them 10 years or less and they will show us.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
you know what they say "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR "

Problem is that anymore you don't always get what you pay for. I recently paid a premium price for a set of "Made in the USA" brand name headers and to call them junk would be a gross insult to junk! I can't use the appropriate term here as it would just come out as a series of asterisks. I have a pair of no name headers that were less than half the price, most probably made off shore and are easily 10 times better quality. I've been in Quality Assurance for 32 years as everything from a floor inspector to a Quality Engineer so believe me, I KNOW junk.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Reviewing the situation

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

You are 10-15 years too late. The country tanked. 30% ready to retire, and near 30% unemployment. The rest work at walmart. US fiscal gross is no longer believable and openly maniplutaing worth and currency. Shut up and be happy you have food to eat.

Wait a few years and let us see.

Last edited by spinn; 05-25-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
Problem is that anymore you don't always get what you pay for. I recently paid a premium price for a set of "Made in the USA" brand name headers and to call them junk would be a gross insult to junk! I can't use the appropriate term here as it would just come out as a series of asterisks. I have a pair of no name headers that were less than half the price, most probably made off shore and are easily 10 times better quality. I've been in Quality Assurance for 32 years as everything from a floor inspector to a Quality Engineer so believe me, I KNOW junk.
I agree Hippie, but i still look for good quality where ever it's coming from here or somewhere else, just hard to get real good quality anywhere these day's you really have to look around i guess to find it. Trust me if i can save a few bucks i will but it really depends on what it is though. Some thing's just can't go cheap on, you know what i mean right? IMHO
I also have had some pretty good cheap stuff and some pretty ***** supposed to be quality stuff, i added the asterisks myself .

Cole
Old 05-25-2011, 07:05 PM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

For most people its not one or the other. It's getting the best value, ie the best quality with in my budget. If I have $500 to spend on heads, I don't care how good AFR or edelbrock are, they are just not in the equation. And waiting to save up for American made heads could be a year or more out of the hobby with the car sitting in the garage.

The question may be instead, why do American workers demand such high pay rates for marginally better product? In many fields American workers have given themselves raises right out of the work place. A $10 dollar an hour job is better then none. Now for truly skilled work, truly far superior products high pay rates can and should be demanded, but $32 an hour to bolt seats in a car at the factory... really?...
Old 05-25-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark928
For most people its not one or the other. It's getting the best value, ie the best quality with in my budget. If I have $500 to spend on heads, I don't care how good AFR or edelbrock are, they are just not in the equation. And waiting to save up for American made heads could be a year or more out of the hobby with the car sitting in the garage.

The question may be instead, why do American workers demand such high pay rates for marginally better product? In many fields American workers have given themselves raises right out of the work place. A $10 dollar an hour job is better then none. Now for truly skilled work, truly far superior products high pay rates can and should be demanded, but $32 an hour to bolt seats in a car at the factory... really?...
Where do you think the $32 hr jobs started at?
What was the wage paid to auto workers in 1932? The cost of a house, the cost of a car, a gallon of gas? What are they now?
It is called trying to keep pace with inflation.
It has been demonstrated time again, jobs move off shore and prices remain the same, the wage paid to a Chinese worker should mean a reduction in sales price, it doesn't happen. The executives give themselves bonuses for cutting the cost of production.
It is the Walmart mentality that is ruining this country.
When they find a way to outsource your job, maybe then you will see things differently.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Moving to lounge..

Sam
Old 05-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Reviewing the situation

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Flew off the handle for a moment. My Heddmen headers were Made in USA and these collectors made me want to throw em at the wall. Nice even transition would you not say.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coletr.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	55552  
Old 05-25-2011, 09:05 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Some of our money paid for Chinese products really do get to China. That money is used to fuel a communist country where the people have no rights,. They have no internet etc. They are building a huge Navy and are poised to take over the oceans in that part of the world and will challenge the US for the right to rule the seas someday.
It is not a nice government.
I would rather buy things made in Mexico then China. That is if I can't get USA made. I like to support my brothers in the US and keep them working.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Bob
Some of our money paid for Chinese products really do get to China. That money is used to fuel a communist country where the people have no rights,. They have no internet etc. They are building a huge Navy and are poised to take over the oceans in that part of the world and will challenge the US for the right to rule the seas someday.
It is not a nice government.
I would rather buy things made in Mexico then China. That is if I can't get USA made. I like to support my brothers in the US and keep them working.
Exactly!
Old 05-26-2011, 04:46 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Have no internet?? Hell, seems like 90% of the freaking spam we get here every day comes straight from China!

I look at it like this- if OUR system IS better, then we damn well better be prepared to put it to the test. In the past, we've always had our way w/the rest of the world, pretty much. Now? Well, we have some competition. Also in the past, we've rallied around the flag and got the job done- both economically and militarily. Maybe this is a thing of the past? I don't know- but if this generation wants to make a difference, they'd better put down the joysticks and pick up a tool and get the hell to work.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.