Hot Rod Forum banner

Quarter Panel Patch

7K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Randy Ferguson 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 49 Chevy Sedan, and I am in the process of welding on lower quarter panel patch panels. The patch panel has the hump formed in to match the lower rear fender and toward the front of the patch panel, it ends at the door jamb on the back of the door and the rear of the rocker panel. I am also replacing the rocker panels at this time. I am interested in recommendations or methods on how folks do this kind of repair. I am thinking of cutting out the section (sectioning) and doing a butt weld to join the patch panel and the old metal. I am thinking of just tacking the new panel in place and using the edge of the door jamb as a place to weld the front of the patch panel and a butt weld weld between the top of the patch panel and the bottom edge of the old fender. The problem I am running into is that the patch panel is not quite large enough to patch the area that I have to cut out. If I could I would completely fabricate an entire section, but I do not have the ability to fabricate that complex of a shape. A bodyman suggested using a back up piece to join the gap between the patch panel and rear fender section. Then just use a skim layer of filler since the difference is only about .040" I am not to sure about that idea. Any ideas much appreciated.

One other thought here I forgot in the last post. Would it be a better idea to weld the front of the quarter panel patch panel to the rear of the door jamb, and then chemically bond the rest of the panel on? My thinking is that I cannot get behind the panel in some areas to work out any heat distorion. If chemical bond would be a good idea and it is already welded to the door jamb at the front of the patch panel, can I just chemically bond this flat on flat without a hem or any other supports?

See less See more
#2 ·
Ron,
Can you post a picture of your quarter and the patch panel? This will give us a better idea of how to tell you to proceed. I'm sure you have access to a TIG welder, right? Two way's you could go about it. Make an extension for the patch panel you have already and tig it on, making sure the panel is as near perfect as you can get it before welding it to the car. Or, make a new panel. What tools do you have available to shape sheetmetal? Or I guess a third option would be to have a panel made for you.

Randy Ferguson
Metalshaping & Kustom Paint
www.metalmeet.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.