Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Quarter Panel Patching Questions
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 09:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quarter Panel Patching Questions

Excuse the gold, it's only there because my friends and I found it hilarious combined with the primer.

Right rear:

Right front behind door:

RR patch:

All 4 patches:

So basically, I have rot in front and behind both of my rear wheels. This is the only real rust on the car, aside from the passenger door which I already have a replacement for. I have these practically rust free cutoffs from Arizona, which are going to get media blasted before going on. I also won't be using the entire panels, just enough to cut past the rust a good couple inches.

Behind the rear wheel, it rotted enough for a rat to climb in and stuff almost all of the headliner padding into the quarter panel. That was fun to remove...

I'm planning to butt weld them. I have access to a Lincoln MIG setup with argon, although I'm not a terribly great welder yet. I haven't done much with sheetmetal. Also, the way I was planning to weld it on, I won't have enough access from inside/behind to tap it out with a hammer and dolly.

Questions:
1. Any tips/things to watch out for there? I'm under the assumption that I'm going to have to alternate and tack it, not running a bead anywhere.
2. Can I flare the edge outwards a hair, then weld and have it end up mostly flat after I grind down the welds? From what I've heard seams like this tend to sink a little from being welded.
3. What can I do to get it as smooth as possible without using filler? I'm planning to use a skim coat of fiberglass over top to finish it up but I'd like to keep it to a minimum.
4. Any tips on lining it up and cutting it to fit properly? I was planning to cut out a template, and trim the panel and car to match so it sits pretty close - leaving a little extra so I can slowly trim it until everything fits closely.