Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Quarter Panel Patching Questions
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 10:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer
3. Since you've never welded before, you should just plan on having to use filler rather than trying to get a weld so perfect it will require hardly any filler. And I say that because you're just going to have a difficult time getting it to that point, being a novice and all. Keep in mind when you're grinding down your welds, the grinder generates immense heat as well and can further distort the metal if you keep it on one area too long. Don't dwell on any one spot, and jump around alot, letting your welds cool before going back to hit them more. If you can fit a dolly in from the back of the panel, hold it up tight against the back of the weld, then do on-dolly hammer on the weld from the front, this will stretch the metal and you'll actually see the metal start to flex back out. It's exhausting work though.
I have some experience, but it's mostly with thicker metal. I'd like to at least try to get it as smooth as possible and see how it turns out, I know I'm going to have to use filler but I feel it's worth the effort to try to minimize it. I was definitely planning to take my time with the grinder to avoid warping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer
4. What I've found works really well (and accurately) for me is--if the replacement panel can fit directly on top of/over the old panel--use metal screws and screw it down to the old panel nice and tight so everything lines up well. Then take your cut off wheel and cut right along the edge of the new panel. Unscrew the new panel, continue to remove the old panel if needed, and the new panel will fit right into place and your cut will line up perfectly since the edge of the new panel actually guided the blade. It automatically leaves for a bit of space between the edges of the panels because you don't want your new panel actually touching the original panel if you're doing a butt weld; there needs to be a tiny bit of space between them.
This won't work with the shape of the patches unless I cut them up. All of the patches are inner and outer together. I am aware that I need to keep a slight gap. I figure if I make a template of some sort and cut the patch piece to the exact size of the part I cut off, I should be good, right?

Thanks.

Last edited by John68040; 02-17-2012 at 10:21 PM.