quarter panel repair - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2013, 10:58 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

quarter panel repair

Ok here's what I'm thinking about doing, both quarters have been skined, both corners where it meets the tail light panel need some work, both can be worked out but the drivers side really bugs me, so there's going to ne filler there anyway I thought being I have a 80% quarter here I got a good deal on what do you think about me cutting that section out and taking it from the quarter I have and grafting it in the driver side?

Cole
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130826_233959.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	78081  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 11:03 PM

Last photo:

more pics

Here's a few more pics

Cole
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130826_234213.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	78089   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130826_234024.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	78097   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130826_233959.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	78105  
Old 08-26-2013, 11:15 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

if you have a new quarter why not just install the whole thing? It was obviously an old school just lap it on top job. Sure it's possible to graft that in there but there's a few things you have to consider...lining it up to the edge and height of the deck lid, the distances from the seam, the shape matching the other side.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:37 PM

Last photo:

Thanks that's what I was thinking also they did the other side the same way. So I was thinking about pulling the trigger and getting another quarter and just doing both sides. Just wanted tohear what y'all thought. I do want to do it right just never have done a quarter before, but I getting ready to go for it.
Thanks

Cole
Old 08-26-2013, 11:52 PM

Last photo:

Tech, just thinking I have the one 80% quarter, would it be easier for me to install full quarters or the 80% quarters? I have heard the 80% can be a pretty tough job compared to the fulls. I do have a Guy that needs or wants a 80% for his car. So if it would ne easier and worth the price difference I will go that way just sell the one I have and get two full quarters. What do you think?

Cole
Old 08-27-2013, 05:44 AM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Personally, I would get full quarters. They are easier to install and you have less chance of warping them up because all of the welds are in the factory locations. Even though the skins are cheaper, you will spend more in fit and finish to get a good job. JMO

Kelly
The Following User Says Thank You to carolinacustoms For This Useful Post:
eloc431962 (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 07:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacustoms View Post
Personally, I would get full quarters. They are easier to install and you have less chance of warping them up because all of the welds are in the factory locations. Even though the skins are cheaper, you will spend more in fit and finish to get a good job. JMO

Kelly
Thanks Kelly, going to check on 2 fulls today, it's just one of those unexpected things that come up, wasent even planing on the quarters till got a good look at them, but i am doing it right no matter what , had the car to long it's not going anywhere that i know of except for drives.
i imagine when i get it down that far trunk drops will be needed also. then the doors back will have almost all been redone.

Cole
Old 08-27-2013, 07:13 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

X2 on what Kelly said. Obviously you like the car enough that it bothers you that it isn't the way you want it to be. That being the case patching it will bother you as well...so if at all possible, get a full quarter and as you said, get it done right.

These vehicles that we fall in love with are never done...we always have something that can be improved on, that's what makes this the hobby that it is. I've mentioned on this forum in the past that I have customer's vehicles that I thought I finished 20 years ago and they still keep coming back in for something that they want changed or there is something new on the market that they have to have. Cole it's a labor of love as I'm sure you know, one of the joys is that we get to work on them for as long as we own them...in my case, I don't even own them...LOL

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
eloc431962 (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 07:18 AM

Last photo:

Thank's Ray it's guy's like you and Kelly that makes this site worth while. And you read me like a book on my 67 it is a family member and i do want to do it right.

Cole
The Following User Says Thank You to eloc431962 For This Useful Post:
carolinacustoms (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 07:41 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Thank You so much for the kind words Cole.

Cole, I have more cars than kids...is there a reason for that? Well, don't get me wrong, I love my kids...but, not one car did I ever have to put through University, any grief I've had with a car, I've been able to fix myself and not had to try and reason with and explain to a car would will happen if it chooses a wrong path. Cars never leave home unless you decide, if you don't like the way a car looks, you can change that (with kids, you get what you get...if some kids where cars people would really wonder why a person would buy them). If I choose not to feed a kid, child protective services would be all over me...if I choose not to look after a car...my bad...but no jail time.

But cars, like kids, cost a lot of money, however, if I go to sell a car, I at least get some back...if I go to sell a kid, again there's laws against that too and even if you could who would give you your investment back.

On the other side of the coin, kids don't rust out and if you do a good job in their younger years, they do make you proud. I love them both and wouldn't change a thing...Now that my kids are on their own, I miss all the crap they put me through while they where growing up and have great memories...how is that possible...LOL

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
eloc431962 (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 08:57 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

I agree with full quarters. Personally, I like the challenge of skins and sometimes it's the only way due to body lines or something that's making it hard to reproduce exact lines but a full quarter you don't have to worry so much about it. What you'd have to worry about is spot welds and getting a solid technique for that. Some other issues in regards to that particular car and full quarters...
the quarter to door gap will usually be more round so you have to dolly it more square/ the hinge post is weak so you might have to persuade it with the new quarter mocked up and weld it in that area to keep it there/ the gap to the upper rear body panel/AND OR taillight panel will be off and you'll have to figure out the easiest fix. Sometimes that means cutting a slice and opening or closing an area. Look very carefully at the wheel crown areas and where it ends at the bottom before buying. Obviously this is on top of lining up your door and decklid to the old quarter before cutting it out.

Last edited by tech69; 08-27-2013 at 09:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tech69 For This Useful Post:
eloc431962 (08-27-2013)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.