Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - "Quench" *Caution* Quench comes up alot in this post!
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 06:09 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Lets say for argument's sake that quench does nothing for performance or emissions or economy or to help prevent detonation.

When talking about the compression ratio of an engine, if a quench figure isn’t specified, then all the parameters would need to be listed individually.

An example would be saying the CR was based on a 0.040” quench, OR it would need to be stated that the CR is based on what the piston to deck measurement is, what the compressed head gasket thickness is, what the deck height of the block is, and what the compression height of the piston is along with what the chamber and dish/dome volume is.

So it is easy to see how using a quench figure that encompasses ALL the measurements (except the combustion chamber and piston dish/dome volume) is much simpler than listing each measurement individually.

BTW, the 0.040" quench figure is used because it's generally viewed as being optimum for a steel rod street/strip engine using a wedge combustion chamber. If the actual quench measurement in question is other than 0.040”, the difference in the CR can be easily found using a compression ratio calculator.

The same principals apply to proper valve train geometry. Sure- the engine will run most times using stock length pushrods. But is it somehow wrong to set the valvetrain up correctly? It doesn't cost any more for the right length p-rod than it does the wrong length p-rod, so what's the problem?

As far as "guys arguing over .005 in quench", "swirl port heads" and "talk about pushrod length for hundreds of pages", I'll chalk that up to hyperbole and maybe too much caffeine.

As to "I will use "Quench" for everyone that loves that word, but when you read it please remember i prefer Squish", squish and quench are two entirely different phenomena. So if you're going to preach at least get the terminology right. "Quench" is used for expedience only. Again, see Quench for more on the subject of quench and what it all really means.

But what you will not see me do is dumb anything down to make it more palatable for those too lazy or uncommitted to do the best job they can.

Last edited by cobalt327; 11-22-2012 at 06:14 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
AutoGear (11-23-2012), malc (11-22-2012), Richiehd (11-22-2012), zildjian4life218 (11-23-2012)