"Quench" *Caution* Quench comes up alot in this post! - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 01:00 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Again, "quench"- as it's used to describe the action caused by the quench pad of the head and the piston deck near to and at TDC in a (usually) wedge shaped combustion chamber- is a matter of expediency!!!!! It is simply easier to say quench than to use another term. The term quench AND squish are both misnomers- squish is just as wrong as quench. But in the context we use it here on the Hotrodders forum, and on other automotive forums, and among engine builders, the term quench is readily recognized for what it is.

But whatever you want to call it: quench or squish or "squench" (a non-word I and a few others use occasionally)- the fact remains that IT IS IMPORTANT. To say otherwise sets the art of engine building back 50 years in a single stroke.

There's been some things said regarding "young minds vs. old minds". But one thing should bridge the gap is to recognize the importance of this in the first place- when used in the proper context.

And the proper context is the next thing I think is important. It needs to be realized that quench- as we use it here- doesn't necessarily apply to 2-strokes, Hemis, or et cetera. Those designs have their own problems and solutions that do not necessarily have anything to do w/quench in the traditional sense- to a large degree those designs do not have heads w/quench pads or pistons that are designed to use those quench pads.

Advertisement

Last edited by cobalt327; 11-23-2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
I've worked with a few older guys that really have gained some insightful information through the years- and I've worked with a lot more that are WAY out of date on their information and techniques; or have found methods that require the least amount of effort from themselves to accomplish a job, not the ones that necessarily produce the best results but acceptable ones.

There's a very good reason why "fresh and new" talent is sought after by many large scientific/industrial/tech firms; depending on the industry something 5 years old can be completely obsolete.

I'm not saying the youngest around is best, but it does have a LOT of advantages over the oldest around that shouldn't be cast away.

You can also do something wrong for an entire 50 year career- it doesn't make it any more right at the end than at the beginning though. And yes there are a lot of areas where the "wrong way" will still work good enough to get results, just not optimal results.

In the end age has VERY little to do with how well a job is performed, often it comes down to ambition and intelligence.
Yes I agree... we have some very smart young people out there.. But in the HP world I'd rather see proof at the track or dyno rather than someone reading a book or the net and coming up with unproven combo's.

I have great respect for these young guys at the track with the ricer's. The Turbo car's are making amazing power and running good number's. Again they're at the track proving it..
Old 11-23-2012, 02:34 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9 View Post
Yes I agree... we have some very smart young people out there.. But in the HP world I'd rather see proof at the track or dyno rather than someone reading a book or the net and coming up with unproven combo's.

I have great respect for these young guys at the track with the ricer's. The Turbo car's are making amazing power and running good number's. Again they're at the track proving it..

let me ask this, without some wise ***** reply..
do you think smokie came up with he's game changing ideas, by following the older folks set in stone thinking..
or was it' his, we'll lets try this, and maybe that , and well. that didn't work the first time, but lets see if the outcome is different, now that we've got this other thing to work..
to many dismiss those younger, as not having the "proof" to back up any thing, but look at me, I got 35 years in the biz...
age has nothing to do with anything.. other than more time in.. doesn't always = better..
sometimes the old guards are to stuck in their ways to try anything different and just dismiss it..
not all, just like not all young people are stupid
Old 11-23-2012, 02:42 PM

wasnt Mr Yunick more known for cheating? or as he put it,carefully reading the rules?
sorry,had to smart a an answer or comment
Old 11-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
let me ask this, without some wise ***** reply..
do you think smokie came up with he's game changing ideas, by following the older folks set in stone thinking..
or was it' his, we'll lets try this, and maybe that , and well. that didn't work the first time, but lets see if the outcome is different, now that we've got this other thing to work..
to many dismiss those younger, as not having the "proof" to back up any thing, but look at me, I got 35 years in the biz...
age has nothing to do with anything.. other than more time in.. doesn't always = better..
sometimes the old guards are to stuck in their ways to try anything different and just dismiss it..
not all, just like not all young people are stupid
I welcome all idea's from any age. I have great respect for people "any age" that comes with a idea and it actually works.

Last summer I went to a few Import only races. It was very impressive talking to these young guys and hearing how knowledgeable they are with the turbo's. I've even helped a few that had killed the trans and didnt have the money to pay the labor for someone to put their new parts in the trans. I'd tell them buy me lunch and I will take care of it for ya.

But in the end... Don't tell me how fast it is!! Please SHOW me!
Old 11-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
wasnt Mr Yunick more known for cheating? or as he put it,carefully reading the rules?
sorry,had to smart a an answer or comment
Yes he was I'd love to know some of his "reading the rules" idea's.

But on the other hand... if it wasn't in the rule book was it cheating??
Old 11-23-2012, 03:23 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9 View Post
Yes he was I'd love to know some of his "reading the rules" idea's.

But on the other hand... if it wasn't in the rule book was it cheating??
Off topic of this thread but I read somewhere that he put a propellor run alternator on the front of a car and every other driver was freaking out because of it.

Not cheating but he had to remove it.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:13 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS View Post
You don't think the majority of us have been learning from age 10 to way past your magical age of 35? Think before you post statements like that, some day you might gain a lot of this knowledge we "old pros" have.

I wonder why some hide their age in their profiles.
All I know is I'm glad I didn't peak at 35! Knowledge is cumulative- I learn things all the time- and unless those brilliant 35 y/o's are doing the same thing, they're standing still.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
All I know is I'm glad I didn't peak at 35! Knowledge is cumulative- I learn things all the time- and unless those brilliant 35 y/o's are doing the same thing, they're standing still.
Well said! I enjoy and look forward to someone actually proving their idea's. It amuses me when the "book" guys beat their chest on how smart they are but have never been to the track to really see if it works.

After seeing what these honda guys are doing with the turbo's, it almost makes me wanna do a turbo motor.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Off topic of this thread but I read somewhere that he put a propellor run alternator on the front of a car and every other driver was freaking out because of it.

Not cheating but he had to remove it.
Yep i have seen a picture of that. It because rules stated he had to drive and alt. Didnt say how. Now they do. Lol

Anything you want to do to an internal combustion engine is a math problem there are no smoke and mirror way tp get mad power that do not follow mathmatical rules. If it does make power on paper it doesnt make power in real life either. Usally the reverse is true as well. But you can do the math to see how much air the port can flow based on size and shape. Then figure what cam will turn the engine at the speed that will pump that amount of air. Now for sbc you cqn just buy parts other have already sized up for you its pretty easy. So young or od either you can do the calculus or you can spell it. Age really doesnt matter.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:08 PM
WFO

Last photo:

If running an alternator using a propeller the losses would be as great if not greater than using a belt and a pulley system, alternator rpm being equal. Ain't no free rides and if aerodynamics mean anything, forget it.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:09 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
If running an alternator using a propeller the losses would be as great if not greater than using a belt and a pulley system, alternator rpm being equal. Ain't no free rides and if aerodynamics mean anything, forget it.
Of coarse.

Never heard claim that he went faster, just that everyone else complained about it immediately.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:33 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
you're assuming it wouldn't use air that was otherwise just increasing drag.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Bye Jerks

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS View Post
You don't think the majority of us have been learning from age 10 to way past your magical age of 35? Think before you post statements like that, some day you might gain a lot of this knowledge we "old pros" have.

I wonder why some hide their age in their profiles.

Damn straight.

With "age" comes "experience".
Us old guys never stop learning, and we got a big headstart on the kiddies!

And most young folks who crew on a race team got a crash course from some "old dudes". So stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

I thought I was pretty good when I was young. But I can do more now than I could even "think" about back then.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:54 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 632Mantis View Post
Damn straight.

With "age" comes "experience".
Us old guys never stop learning, and we got a big headstart on the kiddies!

And most young folks who crew on a race team got a crash course from some "old dudes". So stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

I thought I was pretty good when I was young. But I can do more now than I could even "think" about back then.
You've obviously never been around the ricer crowd. Pulling 200hp or better per liter is not a small task- on pump fuel no less, often with stock short blocks. Most of those guys are under 30.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.