Question on 1966 amc rebel project - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 10:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question on 1966 amc rebel project

Hi I am new to the amc cars I am looking into buying a 1966 amc rebel with straight six three speed on the column. I was wondering if this is a desirable car and worth putting the time in I like the style and the rarity it would be different in my opionion sense most of the time u see later ramblers and rebels fixed up I was wondering what all it would take to put a 401 engine in replace of the straight six and I was wondering if there's anything you can do to modernize the toque tube? I was planning on possibly putting a four speed tranny to replace the 3 speed. if any of u guys could help me out with any info on how the best way to do all this would be that would great thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
Here is the cold hard facts, it isn't going to be "worth" restoring or building into a hot rod being it isn't a popular car, the market is VERY small for it compared to a Chevy, Ford or Mopar (in that order).

That's the bad news, the good news is parts are VERY cheap compared to those more popular cars. The motor parts are a little more because there isn't that big of a market for the manufacturer. But for used parts, NOS parts, that sort of thing, they are CHEAP, much cheaper than the popular cars.

You can build it and enjoy it, you can build it and go places and you will be the only one there, that can really be fun.

I bought a Rambler about two and a half years ago. I knew NOTHING about them, I bought this car not knowing what years the motor was used, how big it was, what brakes it had, I knew NOTHING what so ever about the car. After a short while, I moved into the Rambler community, I now am a full fledge member of the community and buy and sell parts and have numbers on my cell phone to order just about any part for my car and have it here tomorrow UPS done deal. I know more about this car than I ever thought possible, I know what years used certain parts and when they changed to other makers, it blows me away at how easy it is once you move into the community.

If you like the car, go for it, have fun. Be damned if it's "worth" it when it comes to the money, few are.

Brian
Old 02-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Brian is spot on. It really doesn't matter what kind of car anymore, Chevy, Ford, etc. If it isn't a labor of love, most likely you may get discouraged and quit. It took me 8 years to get my coupe done, I did a lot myself, a lot with help from friends. E-bay and other sale sites have many half-finished projects that people are losing their boo-tocks on when they sell. Ask yourself how badly yopu want this car. I passed on many before I bought my coupe.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:55 PM

Yea I no what u guys mean I would love to make the rebel a lil hot rod but the torque tube thing kinda scares me I think it would make a cool unique car I like how they only made the rebel in that body style for one year but the torque tube was befor my time and I don't no how practical it would be if I try to put a 4 speed. And a 401 in front of it
Old 02-04-2012, 08:13 PM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

not for nutt'n but the c6 vettes are torque tube..
I'm sure because of the 50 year differences.. there is differences..
but, I can't see why you could not use the amc set up.. with a 401/4spd. might take some fab work.. but most hotrods do.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:23 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

If it was a V-8 car with a three speed then the later AMC V-8 could be made to bolt up. The big three speeds and T-10 four speeds used the same bolt pattern, so the newer engine with a T-10 bell would bolt up to the existing trans and torque tube.

Pre 72 six cylinders used a smaller bell housing than the V-8s (in 72 AMC switched the six to the same bell size/pattern as V-8s, only shallower), so the later V-8s won't bolt up. The trans was also a lot lighter duty and wouldn't hold up to a V-8 at all -- it will just work with the bigger sixes for a cruiser, won't last if beat on much with a bigger six.

I got a PM from cowboy and sent him a very detailed answer. Can post here if there is interest...

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.