Hot Rod Forum banner

Question on 2003 Chevy Suburban 5.3 Engine

14K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  35WINDOW 
#1 ·
I hope that you guys can give me some input on this, not sure if it is a problem or not yet.

I have a 2003 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with the 5.3l Vin Z (Flex Fuel engine). I am wondering if my oil pressure is to high. it used to always run right at 40 -60 on the high side. Then I ran a half a can of seafoam through the Oil for about 3 weeks, around 500 miles then changed my oil. The oil pressure is now running from 35 all the way to 80 when I get on the engine. I have never seen any car that would actually run the oil pressure to the very top of the pressure gauge.

The oil is 5w-30 Penzoil Platinum Synthetic that I had put in this last time. I always used 5w-30 Mobil 1 before full synthetic. I took it somewhere to have it changed this time, as I did not have the time to do it myself, and the oil pressure had gone high after adding the Sea Foam.

Did the sea foam clog something up, or what should I be looking for.

Thanks,
Bryan

#2 ·
The last time I actually had Jiffy Lube do it, just shoot me. I know, I know. I always do it myself, but Yes I use the Napa Gold Filters or the Carquest Filters made by Wix. This is the only time that I did not, but its not a fram, not sure what it is.

The pressure was riding higher before I had the oil changed, and this only happened after I put the Sea foam, about 1/4-1/2 a can in the Oil to try to clean the engine up some. I did this and ran it around 500 miles then thought maybe it had thinned my oil to much, so I took it to get it changed. I did not have the time to do it myself, which is why I did it at Jiffy Lube, while I watched.

It runs pretty solid, but it seems wen I pin the pedal down, from start and run it to 5500 or Redline, the oil Pressure is pegging on 80psi. Then When I let off it will drop back down, but I don't remember it ever doing this before. It will run just below 40 when idling also, but when I really hit it, the pressure rises quick.

Thanks,
Bryan

#6 ·
Its got about 2500 miles on the oil now to, so thats why I say I will go ahead and change it out. Drove it on a trip and put about 800 on it over Labor day and already had quite a bit of miles on the oil before that and since then.

Its time to change it, I do it every 3k anyways no matter what I put in it. Always have run the Mobil 1 Synth in it, just PSI went high when I ran the Seafoam through it. I am thinking of pouring more Seafoam in it, to really break anything up, before dumping it all out this weekend to change the oil/filter.

Bryan

#7 ·
I own two 5.3's and one runs at about 65 p.s.i. @ 5000 RPM's (the older one)-I run Mobil 1 in both of them. I wonder if there could be an issue with your Sender? I do know that the later model GM Engines (5.3,6.0,Diesel) have less Ol Pressure than the ones of about 4 Years ago-we have a Fleet of them at Work and every one has noticed that their Oil Pressure is lower than their last Truck...........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.